Smittybilt is a name not uncommon to four-wheel drive enthusiasts all over the world. It is an automobile company that mainly manufactures various truck and SUV accessories.
Smittybilt was founded in 1956 and is headquartered in Compton, California. Smittybilt, over its years of operation, has developed some of the most innovative products for the off-road market.
Smittybilt winches are the perfect rescue systems to get your ATV or UTV automobiles out of any situation.
Smittybilt produces powerful winches that are equipped with superior features than any other winches of the same class.
Over 2,000 world-class accessories, including these winches, are provided by Smittybilt for 4x4s of all levels.
Smittybilt Winch Reviews
Smittybilt offers a variety of winches over an economical price range. The products are used are recovery systems for ATV and UTV applications.
These winches come with various features, some of which are unique to Smittybilt products.
Here is a quick table to compare various models –
|Model||Line Rating||Horse Power|
|XRC 2||2000 lbs.||3.3|
|XRC 3.0||3000 lbs.||3.9|
|XRC 3.0 Comp||3000 lbs.||3.9|
|XRC 4.0||4000 lbs.||4.1|
|XRC 4.0 Comp||4000 lbs.||4.1|
|Gen2 Series||17,200 lbs. (max)||6.6|
Let us now discuss these products and their characteristics in detail.
XRC 2 Series
The XRC 2 by Smittybilt is one of the most powerful winches of its class.
It can pull a load of 2000 pounds and consists of a 3.3 HP motor. Compared to the winches of other brands, it has a faster line speed and is incorporated with several advanced features.
The 136:1 gear ratio of the 3-stage planetary gear system of the motor ensures a very quick pull regardless of a load being present or not.
The product comes with a standard remote control (with an 11 ft. lead) and is equipped with a high-performance solenoid and wire loom.
- This is a high-quality product with components that are superior to other winches of the same type.
- It is not very expensive to buy.
- The product comes with a mounting plate that can be fixed anywhere.
- Some parts may be illegal to use in California and states with similar laws.
XRC 3.0 Series
This unit has a load rating of 3000 pounds owing to its planetary gear system that has a gear ratio of 136:1. It has a permanent magnet motor with 3.9 HP and it requires 12V for operation.
The cable is galvanized aircraft cable which is 38 ft. long and 1/4″ in diameter. A replaceable hook is included in the kit.
XRC 3.0 is a powerful and reliable product that can be used as a recovery system for ATV and UTV applications. The drum size of the motor is 1.9″ x 2.95″.
SAE-J706 standard ratings are met by all the winches under this series.
This product weighs 17 pounds and has dimension measurements of 13.2″ x 4.48″ x 4.72″ (LxWxH).
- Comes with a mounting unit and the product installation is quite simple. Installation instructions are very clear and can be done by users with limited electrical knowledge.
- For its value, this winching system is equipped with several features.
- Some users have complained about the winch failing after a few times of use.
- Pull speed is quite slow.
XRC 3.0 Comp Series
The Smittybilt XRC 3.0 is a heavy-duty winch, which, like the previous versions, has a 3.9 HP, 12V permanent magnetic motor. A planetary gear system with 136:1 gear ratio is incorporated into the system.
This winch has a line rating of 3000 pounds. The unit weighs 17 pounds and measures 13.2″ x 4.48″ x 4.72″ (LxWxH) in dimensions.
The unit comes with a 30 ft. synthetic DSK-75 rope which is 1/7th the weight of a steel cable of the same length.
These ropes are UV and abrasive resistant and do not stretch. The ropes are also overheat resistant due to the presence of a protective sleeve.
- The synthetic cable reduces the weight of the unit by a great margin.
- It is a great quality product that can be purchased at an economical price.
- This product comes with a lifetime warranty on the mechanical parts and a 5-year warranty on its electrical parts.
- Some parts cannot be legally used in California and some other states.
XRC 4.0 Series
This units comes with a line rating of 4000 pounds and is equipped with a high-performance motor of 4.1 HP.
Furthermore, it has a gear ratio of 198:1 with a planetary gear system. The product comes with a handlebar rocker switch and an 11 ft. remote control.
A 4-way roller fairlead and a high-performance solenoid are also included with the unit. A 32.8 ft. galvanized aircraft cable with a replaceable hook is the standard type used in this winch.
The unit weighs 17 pounds and measures 336 mm x 114 mm x 76.5 mm in length, width, and height.
- High quality, state-of-the-art components ensure superior performance compared to winches of the same load capacity.
- The unit can be installed easily with the help of a universal mounting plate that comes with the product.
- The unit may stop working permanently if submerged in water.
- Less expensive units with similar capabilities are available in the market.
XRC 4.0 Comp Series
The Smittybilt XRC 4.0 Comp Series is one of the best winches of its capability available in the market today. It has a load rating of 4000 pounds and a 4.1 HP motor with a planetary gear system of 198:1 gear ratio.
It also comes with an additional 11 ft. remote control.
Instead of a metal cable, this unit has a synthetic DSK-75 rope, which is 6/7 times less heavy than an aluminum cable. The rope comes with a replaceable hook and is overheat resistant.
Additionally, the rope is UV and abrasion-resistant as well, making it much more durable.
- The rope is highly tolerant to various external factors and is more durable.
- An aluminum fairlead is included in the kit.
- The product come with a lifetime warranty on its mechanical parts and a 5-year warranty on the electrical parts
- Some parts of the product may be banned in California and other states with similar laws.
Gen2 Winch Series
The Gen2 series of XRC and XR20 winches are the upgraded versions of the previous units. These are highly enhanced units with more features than their predecessors.
These winches come with a wireless remote control unit for better versatility.
Both the series have 4 different models each with different line ratings. The maximum line rating available in both series is 17,500 lbs.
The units are waterproof and are also available in COMP series that employ synthetic ropes instead of metal cables. The COMP series has similar advantages as the previous versions.
Additionally, the Gen2 XR20 and XRC Comp series have a dynamic braking system that reduced the drum temperature by 66%. Thus makes the units capable of using any type of synthetic rope for operation.
- These are water-proof units and can be used in a wide range of terrains.
- The drum temperature is reduced by a significant value making the unit more versatile.
- Comes with a wireless remote control
- Modification of the mounting bracket may be necessary to accommodate the unit in a position you desire.
Smittybilt winches are quality products that can easily compete with other well-known brands in the market.
These products can be easily installed by the user and the instructions provided by the manufacturer are very clear and precise.
These are ideal recovery systems for ATV and UTV applications and can bail you out of a difficult position at any time. However, there are various other manufacturers of winches available in the market other than Smittybilt.
Before purchasing a product, it is ideal to do extensive research as you might come across a better product at a more economical price.
Last Updated on