ReviewsWorthy.net is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.Learn more
If your beloved dog has sensitive skin you’re probably used to seeing them scratching excessively or have noticed scabs, flaking skin, or red and irritated skin.
Maybe you’ve been trying medicated dog shampoos or you’ve only been sticking to the bargain brands you found at the dollar store and are seeing no relief.
If this sounds like you, hypoallergenic dog shampoo might be a better option for you and your pet.
Not only are hypoallergenic dog shampoos great for treating dry, itchy, sensitive skin, they’re also natural and safe.
As a pet owner, you might be worried about using harsh chemicals on your dog in fear that it can further irritate them or cause them long-term harm.
Here, those worries are eliminated. But with so many different dog shampoos available on the market, it can be hard to choose the best one for you and your dog.
To help you narrow down your search, some of the best available options were evaluated and reviewed for their effectiveness.
The following sections briefly describe what hypoallergenic dog shampoos are and how they are effective as compared to other normal shampoos.
What are Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoos?
The term hypoallergenic dog refers to those dogs in general that are allergic to some of the other substance.
Normal dog shampoos cannot be used for bathes such dogs as they need more frequents baths and use of regular shampoo might be too harsh on their skin and coat.
In general, hypoallergenic dog shampoos are washes made without allergens.
While there is no legal definition for “hypoallergenic,” it’s widely accepted that this label is a safer, better option for sensitive dogs who tend to get irritated after bathing with normal shampoos containing soaps, sulfates, and similar chemical ingredients.
These shampoos are made to be extra mild and do not use any strong or harsh chemicals. They also leave out certain common ingredients that the pet may be allergic to.
The “problem” is that anything can cause an allergic reaction, even plain water in some rare situations. For this reason, nothing can truly be without allergens completely.
This is why defining hypoallergenic as something without allergens is a bit misleading. In actuality, “hypo” means “below” so the term is better defined as a solution with a lower risk of causing allergic reactions.
This makes hypoallergenic dog shampoos a better choice for dogs with known sensitivities including inflammation, rashes, dry skin, extreme itchiness, and similar instances of contact dermatitis.
Best Hypoallergenic Shampoos Today
Here is a quick list of the top Hypoallergenic shampoos in the market today-
|Brand||Volume||Ingredients||Uses & USPs||How to Use||Our Rating||Price|
Pro Pet Works
16 fl oz
Coconut extract & Aloe vera
Vitamin A, E & D
For dogs with allergies, sensitive skin & bad odor
|Wet with warm water, allow it to work in for 5-10 minutes, rinse properly||
BEST in Organic
16 fl oz
Certified to USDA Organic Standards
For dogs with - allergies, itching, dryness and skin irritation.
|Use warm water to wet fur, apply the shampoo liberally and massage, rinse properly||
BEST in Clay based Shampoo
12 fl oz
coconut & Olive oil
Anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, antiseptic and anti-pest shampoo.
|Apply on wet coat, keep for 90 seconds and rinse properly||
Odie and Cody
16 fl oz
Money back guarantee
Certified Organic & Vegan
For - Moisturizing, deodorizing, anti-itch, allergy relief
|Use warm water to wet fur, apply the shampoo and massage, rinse properly||
16 fl oz
For - Allergies, dry, sensitive skin and Itching
|Wet the coat apply shampoo and keep for 3-5 min, rinse nicely||
Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo
Money Back Guarantee
16 fl oz
Coconut based cleansers
Money back guarantee
For sensitive and ultra mild skin
|Apply liberally on wet coat, rinse off after few minutes||
Hypoallergenic Shampoos Reviews
Understanding what a hypoallergenic shampoo is and what it does can help you choose the best one for you and your pet, but with so many options available it can be hard to figure out which is the best.
Some of the best hypoallergenic dog shampoos were researched and reviewed here to help you in your search.
Pro Pet Works Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
This hypoallergenic dog shampoo is the best-selling one on the market and for good reasons.
This natural shampoo is recommended by vets and made especially for pets with allergies or sensitivities to foods, grass, and fleas. There are no harsh chemicals in the formula.
Instead, natural ingredients like aloe, oatmeal, and almond oil are used to treat dry, itchy skin while also helping clean and deodorize your dog.
More so, Pro Pet is a company dedicated to making natural, safe products. Their goal is to impact the environment as little as possible by making non-toxic products in biodegradable packaging made by recycled materials.
So not only do their products look to make a difference in your pet, they look to help the environment, too.
While cleaning your dog and treating any skin conditions is the main goal, this shampoo and conditioner will also detangle your dog’s fur and leave its coat shiny and soft.
Your dog will also be left with a pleasant cherry almond smell instead of the typical wet dog smell that some natural shampoos leave behind.
- No alcohol, sulfates, soaps, added colors or fragrances
- Enriched with aloe vera, almond oils, and essential oils
- Contains vitamins A, D, and E
- Can be used on other pets including cats, rabbits, and ferrets
- Won’t irritate the eyes or nose during bathing
- Safe for frequent use
- Paraben and cruelty-free formula
- Must leave on your pet for five to 10 minutes
- Higher price than similar shampoos
4-Legger Certified Organic Dog Shampoo
Certified Organic Product
A certified organic dog shampoo, 4-Legger is an all-natural formula made specifically for sensitive dogs. It provides extra moisture as well as relief for itchy, dry skin.
There are no artificial ingredients making the risk for irritation or allergic reactions low. Specifically, there are no parabens, alcohols, sulfates, or artificial dyes and perfumes.
This shampoo contains nourishing ingredients including coconut oil, jojoba oil, and olive oil as well as aloe vera and essential oils (rosemary and lemongrass).
The essential oils in this formula give the shampoo a natural fragrance while also providing antibacterial and antifungal properties that will get your dog clean.
- Certified organic and vegan formula
- Naturally repels fleas and ticks
- Won’t strip dogs’ natural oils
- Packaging made of recycled materials
- Non-toxic formula
- Veterinarian recommended
- Cruelty-free production
- Smell might be too strong for some
- Hard to work into a lather
- Thin consistency can spill easily
Odie and Cody Natural Dog Shampoo
Great Vegan Option
Recommended by vets and pet owners alike, Odie and Cody Natural Dog Shampoo is great for dogs of all ages with sensitive skin or known allergies.
It’s made to clean the dirt and grime off your dog while also leaving behind a shiny and soft coat as well as a clean smell.
There are no harsh chemicals or synthetic fillers. Instead, the shampoo features natural ingredients like aloe vera, essential oils, and other organic oils. Even the packaging is made of recycled material and is biodegradable.
Odie and Cody not only make safe, natural products, they also donate a portion of all of their sales to animal-related charities.
They are dedicated to animals and their health and safety making them a great company to support.
- No artificial chemicals, dyes, sulfates, or fragrances
- Concentrated formula means a little goes a long way
- Moisturizing ingredients help with dry, itchy skin
- Deodorizes dog’s coat leaving behind fresh, natural scents
- Completely vegan, gluten, and cruelty-free
- Safe for other pets including cats and guinea pigs
- Certified organic
- Doesn’t foam a lot
- Seems too thin and watery
Vet’s Best Hypoallergenic Shampoo
Best Value for Price
Made for dogs with sensitive skin, Vet’s Best Hypoallergenic Shampoo is gentle on your pup’s skin and coat and won’t irritate their eyes or nose during bath time.
It can not only clean your dog but also nourish dry skin and repair brittle coats
The company has been making great plant-based products for over thirty years in order to create effective yet safe products for your furry companion. There are no harsh chemicals used in the formula.
Instead, Panthenol, Allantoin, aloe vera, and vitamin E will nourish your pup’s skin and keep them clean.
- Soothing for dry, itchy skin
- Smooths and revitalizes dry coats
- No need to use a conditioner
- Won’t affect other topical treatments
- Safe for frequent use
- Needs less setting time than other shampoos (3-5 minutes)
- Doesn’t lather well
- Thin consistency
Earthbath Hypoallergenic Shampoo
One of the more popular brands on the market, Earthbath products are known for being gentle yet effective.
It’s a trusted brand known for its natural pet care products including this great hypoallergenic shampoo.
Like other options, this doesn’t contain detergents, parabens, or other artificial ingredients making it great for sensitive dogs who tend to break out easily.
Instead, the shampoo has soothing natural ingredients including aloe vera and oatmeal to nourish and clean your pup from head to toe.
- No harsh chemicals limit adverse reactions
- Package is biodegradable
- Nourishes dry, flaky skin
- Lathers nicely
- Leaves coats shiny and soft
- Cruelty-free production
- Too fragrant for some users
- Issues cleaning muddy dogs
- Slightly expensive than other brands
- What are Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoos?
- Best Hypoallergenic Shampoos Today
- Hypoallergenic Shampoos Reviews
- Normal Vs. Hypoallergenic Shampoos?
- Advantages and Limitations of Hypoallergenic Shampoos
- Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo – Quick Buying Guide
- Who Determines that a Shampoo is Hypoallergenic?
- In the end..
Normal Vs. Hypoallergenic Shampoos?
The following points briefly list out the differences between the normal shampoo and hypoallergenic shampoo.
Normal shampoos contain the chemicals that cleanse the coat.
Since they are used at long intervals of time; they do not cause much harm.
Allergic dogs need to be bathed more frequently and hence, the hypoallergenic shampoos are designed using mild agents that cleanse the coat thoroughly but do not cause any damage.
- The normal shampoos are scented by using various natural fragrances. It often turns out that a particular fragrance does not suit a pet. This can be troublesome because the shampoo may be effective but cannot be used because of the allergy to its fragrant ingredients. The hypoallergenic shampoos are designed just as effectively sans the fragrance. This will offer all the benefits of the shampoo without the side effects.
- The regular shampoos may also contain soap and detergent for a stronger cleansing action but hypoallergenic dogs require baths at very small intervals. If such strong shampoos are used, it may have negative side effects. Thus, hypoallergenic shampoos leave out soaps from their composition.
- The normal shampoos also contain parabens and alcohols. These are effective when it comes to parasite infestation. The hypoallergenic shampoo does not include these and instead, using natural and organic options like oatmeal and aloe vera which are just as effective as the chemicals and without any side effects.
- The normal shampoos that are used for brightness or whitening also contain dyes for colouring the coat and adding sheen to it. However, allergic dogs may react badly to the dyes and hypoallergenic dogs rely on natural and more biodegradable options to brighten the coat.
Advantages and Limitations of Hypoallergenic Shampoos
The following points illustrate some benefits of hypoallergenic dog shampoos.
- Carefully pH balanced
- No alcohol
- No harmful and harsh chemicals
- No soaps and detergents
- No parabens
- Enriched with natural nutrients
- Extra mild on the skin
- No fragrance
- No Dyes
- Can be used frequently without side effects
- Doesn’t irritate sensitive skin
- Soothes the itching and scratching due to allergies
One can hardly find any limitations of hypoallergenic dog shampoos as these are designed very carefully to benefit the allergic dogs.
One thing is that they are very mild and some may think that they may not cleanse the skin and coat properly.
But if the user knows how to use the shampoo then it can be used effectively even though it is mild.
Hypoallergenic Dog Shampoo – Quick Buying Guide
When shopping for a hypoallergenic dog shampoo, you want something that will clean your dog without causing irritation or harmful allergic reactions.
Since you’re looking for something hypoallergenic, the fewer ingredients there are, the better it is. Due to a lack of chemical ingredients like detergents and emulsifiers, these shampoos are usually thinner and won’t lather as much as normal dog shampoos.
The Ingredients List
Since looking at the ingredients of a shampoo is key to knowing how gentle it’ll be on your pup, knowing what to look for in terms of ingredients when comparing products is important.
While some shampoos don’t list all of their ingredients or simply state what they don’t contain, you can be diligent and avoid products with known irritants like the following :
- Artificial perfumes or fragrances
- Colours and dyes
- Parabens (propylparaben and butylparaben are common ones)
- Formaldehyde, sometimes listed as sodium hydroxymethylglycinate
Descriptions and Claims
At the end of the day, a company wants to sell their product.
To do this, they may make claims on their products or write descriptions in ways to seem more appealing. When looking at hypoallergenic dog shampoos, it’s best to avoid vague claims and descriptions.
Instead, look for more detailed claims and descriptions.
For example, a shampoo might say something like “all-natural ingredients” without listing any of them. This means that some of the ingredients might be natural but others might not be.
A better choice would be a shampoo that lists what natural ingredients they use. You might even find some shampoos that tell you what the ingredients do.
Don’t get suckered in by generalities and vague claims. The more information provided, the better.
Who Determines that a Shampoo is Hypoallergenic?
In the US, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) handles the regulation of all cosmetic products including shampoos in order to ensure consumer safety.
The FDA makes sure that labels are clear and factual and that there are no misinterpretations.
The FDA tried to regulate the term “hypoallergenic” in 1974 after a cosmetics company began labeling their products as such.
The regulatory board determined that a product can be labeled hypoallergenic only if there were scientific studies done on human test subjects that showed the product had a lower rate of producing allergic reactions.
This determination didn’t stick, however. This has allowed companies to label their products as hypoallergenic without supporting evidence.
When it comes to dog shampoos, they are even less regulated as the FDA considers them “grooming aids” which aren’t regulated by any agency in the US.
This might be a little unnerving if you’re looking for a safe product for your pet, but generally speaking, dog shampoos labelled hypoallergenic tend to be the safer option for dogs with known allergies or sensitive skin.
Remember to always read labels and user reviews in order to see if a product is right for you and your pup.
In the end..
As you can see, there are several hypoallergenic dog shampoos available on the market that can help you get your dog clean without risking their health.
While every dog is different, natural shampoos with little to no chemical ingredients are a better option if your dog tends to react poorly to commercial products.
Any of the reviewed shampoos here can be the solution that you’ve been looking for. Remember to read all labels and consult your vet or groomer if you’re not sure if something is good for you and your pet.
Last update on 2020-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API