ReviewsWorthy.net is reader-supported. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.Learn more
EcoSmart is a US-based manufacturing company that is known for its tankless water heating products. It was founded in 2008 and has its main office in Miami, Florida.
Apart from tankless heaters, the company also produces tank-style heaters, pool heaters, radiant heating systems, and shower heaters.
EcoSmart has set on their path on becoming one of the well-known manufacturers of green products that are efficient and economical to use.
All products from EcoSmart are ETL certified to UL 499 that stands as a testament to the safety and reliability of the products. The products also adhere to the strict standards set by CSA.
EcoSmart produces the only electric tankless products that are approved by FIDE.
EcoSmart Tankless Water Heater Reviews
EcoSmart produces tankless water heaters of various sizes and features. The highest classification is based on whether the heaters are gas-fired or electric.
Further down, the company has itself divided the products into various series based on the similarity in their characteristics.
Let us look at the various series of tankless water heaters manufactured by EcoSmart in the below table.
We shall now discuss these products and their various features in detail.
The POU series consists of electric tankless water heaters that are meant solely for dedicated point-of-use applications. These are compact units with low flow rates that can support a single application at a time.
These units are ideal for use in hand sinks, wet bars, strip malls, boats, recreational vehicles, etc. The maximum flow rate available in this series is 1.5 GPM.
This can be obtained at regions with warm climates. The flow rate decreases with a decrease in source water temperature.
The two models- POU 3.5 and POU 5 require 3.5 kW and 5 kW respectively for operation. These units are 99.8% energy efficient.
The two other models- POU 4T and POU 6T are incorporated with self-modulating technology that allows for energy expenditure only when it is necessary.
The heat exchangers in these units are made of stainless steel for improved durability. These units weigh around 4 pounds and can be easily fitted in small spaces.
- These are compact and durable units with digital displays.
- These units are highly energy-efficient and heat water only when necessary.
- The heating elements are threaded and can be replaced easily.
- The small size and lightweight of these units make their installation very easy.
- Cannot be used for large-demand applications.
- Warranty is provided only for one year.
- In cold weathers, these units have lower hot water flow rates that may not meet the energy demands of the user.
- Temperature cannot be controlled.
The ECO series is a slightly larger version of the POU series. This series has electric tankless water heaters that have higher output flow rates that the point-of-use units. These units are capable of being used in colder climates.
In warmer climates, these heaters can be used in several ways depending on the output flow rate.
Units with low flow rates can be used for single bathrooms and sinks. In the same series, there are larger units available for whole-house applications as well.
The maximum flow rate available in this series is 8.8 GPM in warm climates.
Currently, there is a total of 6 units in this series, namely, ECO 8, ECO 11, ECO 18, ECO 24, ECO 27, and ECO 36. The smallest unit (ECO 8) requires 8 kW to operate, whereas, the largest unit (ECO 36) requires 36 kW.
The number of heating elements in each model varies depending on the capacity. A maximum of 4 heating elements is used in ECO 36. The heating elements are made of copper and are threaded for easy maintenance.
For all the units in this series, the minimum and maximum operating pressures are 25 psi and 150 psi respectively.
Except ECO 11 that requires a 220V supply, all the other models in this series require a 240V supply to operate.
- Compact and durable units that can be installed in small spaces.
- Absence of venting makes their installation and maintenance easier.
- Temperature can be set between 80˚F and 140˚F.
- These units have a limited warranty that is applicable throughout their lifetime.
- If not sized accurately, the units may not produce the required temperature rise.
- The temperature of hot water is greatly affected by climatic conditions.
The ESG is a series of non-condensing tankless water heaters from EcoSmart.
These units have an all-copper heat exchanger with intelligent electronic controls for improved efficiency and safety.
These units have a minimum flow rate of 0.24 GM and an activation flow rate of 0.4 GPM.
There are 3 models in this series, ESG 95, ESG 84, and ESG 64, which are available in 4 variations each based on 2 factors. First is the location of installation- outdoors (XL) or indoor with direct vent (DVL).
The second factor is the type of fuel used- Natural gas (N) or Propane (P).
ESG 95, ESG 84, and ESG 64 are capable of providing maximum flow rates of 9.5 GPM, 8.4 GPM, and 6.4 GPM respectively. All the units have energy efficiencies lying between 83% and 84%.
The indoor models require 3 by 5 concentric vents.
A hot-start feature is available in these heaters that helps minimize the occurrences of cold water sandwiches in the hot water pipes.
They also have an overheat film wrap. These units are cascade-capable for high-demand applications.
- These units can be easily fitted with recirculation pumps.
- The heaters under this series are capable of working at altitudes up to 8400 feet above sea level.
- Ultra-low NOx emissions.
- 12-year warranty.
- These units feature a water savings setting that can reduce the water flow until the heater heats the water to the required temperature.
- Maximum UEF available is 0.82.
- Venting configuration is not very flexible.
The ESGH is a range of high-efficiency condensing type gas tankless water heaters by EcoSmart. These units are equipped with condensing technology that makes their operation highly efficient.
The heat exchanger is made of stainless steel making it more reliable and durable.
There are two models – ESGH 84 and ESGH 95 with maximum flow rates 8.4 GPM and 9.5 GPM respectively. These models can be installed indoors or outdoors and can work with propane or natural gas as the fuel.
For indoor models, venting is the direct type.
All the units are Energy Star certified with a Uniform Energy Factor of 0.95 or 0.96. Units of the same model can be connected with EZ-Link to provide twice the output flow rate.
These units are also over-heat protected and equipped with features to prevent cold water sandwiches.
These units feature a water savings setting that reduces the water flow until the water reaches the set temperature.
Additionally, water can be further conserved by connected recirculation pumps with these units which is quite a simple installation.
- Highly efficient units that help in conserving energy and water.
- These units are equipped with a built-in condensate neutralizer.
- They have self-diagnostic systems for simple installation and service procedures.
- The heaters are compatible with fixtures that have low flow rates.
- Can work at high altitudes up to 8400 feet above sea level.
- These units are some of the most expensive tankless units from EcoSmart.
Proper sizing and installation of EcoSmart tankless water heaters can help conserve a lot of energy and water for the user. EcoSmart produces green units that have low emissions to reduce the toxic impact on the environment.
These tankless water heaters are reliable and highly efficient. The units manufactured by EcoSmart are also durable and last a very long time.
EcoSmart also provides high-quality service to ensure that their customers get products that cater to their needs.