ReviewsWorthy.net is reader-supported. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.Learn more
By definition, a deadbolt lock is “a lock bolt that is moved by turning a knob or key without the action of a spring.”
In simple words, it is a lock that can be opened only through a key or knob and cannot be easily battered or bored. They tend to resist any forced entry into the house and thus offer a good security to the house.
These doors are not spring activated hence cannot be jimmied open with a knife or any other object.
Types of Deadbolt locks
There are mainly three types of Deadbolt Locks:
Single Cylinder Deadbolt: This is a simple deadbolt lock which is activated or opened from one side through a key while there is a thumb piece on the interior side.
These types of locks are used in the doors which do not have any breakable glass near the thumb piece turn. As the intruder might break the glass, turn the knob and enter in.
Double Cylinder Deadbolt: This is a deadbolt lock that is activated through key from both the sides. These can be used in the situation where there is a breakable glass near the knob. But these also hinder escape in a situation of fire etc.
Keyless Cylinder Deadbolt: These are the most easily operated deadbolt locks that can simply be opened with a fingerprint scan or password and can be closed with a button or knob.
Features of a secure deadbolt lock
- The bolt must extend to one inch in diameter and should be made of hardened steel.
- The collar of the cylindrical locks must properly be tapered and be free spinning so that it is difficult to grip it with pliers or wrench.
- The connecting screw must be on the inside and made up of solid steel. No exposed screw heads should be present or seen.
- The connecting screws must be at least ¼ inch in diameter and go into solid metal shock, not screw posts.
Advantages of a deadbolt lock
Some key advantages of a deadbolt lock:
- The unique locking mechanism gives you the utmost protection against forceful physical attack.
- Standard locks may be forcibly unlocked using crowbars etc. or can be opened through key or knife as they operate on a spring mechanism. While the deadbolt locks are nearly impossible to break in this manner.
- The deadbolt lock requires a lot of time to break in and is tougher to open so it leaves the decision on the intruder that whether to break into the house or not as this increases the chances of him being spotted or caught.
Limitations of a Deadbolt Lock
Although deadbolt locks are believed to be very secure but still they suffer from some drawbacks:
- Although these locks are typically very durable and difficult to cut through they are susceptible to lock bumping. Bump-resistant deadbolts are more expensive.
- In case of a keyless deadbolt lock, any intruder can enter your house by guessing the password of your security lock.
- Unlike we misplace our house keys we may also forget the password of the lock and may get stuck outside the house.
- In case of a double-keyed deadbolt lock, the residents may find themselves unable to find the interior key when needed. They may get trapped inside in case of fire and emergencies if they misplace their interior key.
- And these deadbolts can also be kicked through if there is a weakness in a door frame with the bolt going right through the frame if there is a weakness in the frame.
Cost of Deadbolt locks
Deadbolt Locks are the easiest way to deter an intruder. One should at least expect to spend about $30 to $50 for its purchase.
You should never compromise on the quality of the lock as the cheaper ones are easy to pick and the strength of bolt isn’t very strong.
Top brands of Deadbolt Lock
Check out popular deadbolt lock models –
- KEEP YOUR HOME SAFE – Designed to withstand 800 lbs. of force, this U 10827 satin nickel finish door reinforcement lock helps to prevent doors from being kicked in, increasing your home security and keeping you and your family safe!
- EASY INSTALLATION – The included 3” hardened screws make installation a breeze – extra security and peace of mind can be achieved in just minutes!
- ADDITIONAL HOME SECURITY - Use this high security door reinforcement lock for additional home security on any swing-in door of any door thickness. It helps to ensure any door cannot be opened from the outside.
- Security and Privacy - This portable door lock provides you with extra security and privacy, greatly improving your security and preventing unauthorized entry, so the door can't be opened from the outside, not even with a key; which is a great helper for you when you are on business and trips, or live alone.
- Easy to Use - Easy to install or remove, this door lock can be installed in seconds without any tools, even in emergency situations and in the dark. Just insert the metal piece into the slot of the door lock, close the door, and then put the red handle groove to the stud on the metal sheet, then no one can open the door from outside.
- High Quality Material - The door security device is made of strong stainless steel. Rugged ABS plastic cover to prevent damage to doors under pressure. Steel surfaces with electroplating and polishing technology ensure a smooth touch and minimize any injury to your skin. A strong door lock with high quality may guarantee prolonged service life.
- [Upgrade Security Design]: 3" Stop metal construction home security door lock with 4 screws designed to withstand 800Ibs of force, 12 times stronger than a normal deadbolt to against being kicked in. We equipped each door lock latch with 8 screws, including 4 long and 4 short, which you can choose according to your needs. EVERPLUS safety door lock guard your home safe. This reinforcement lock is a good choice for home security. And the perfect gift for your families.
- [Easy to Install]: Use a power screwdriver and drill to mount EVERPLUS security door lock on your door frame, finish DIY this door lock reinforcement installation in less than 5 minutes and you will reap the safety of the whole family. Easy to match any inward swinging door. EVERPLUS safety door lock guard your home security as a door defender. Our high security door lock comes with an installation manual, and you can contact us if you have any issues during installation, we will help you.
- [Easy to Use]: Place index finger on top of door lock security and thumb on bottom and slide lock away from the base plate along with the door in the direction of the hinges then pull outward. No tools are required to open, just a little practice. This door guard prevents breaking in but is easy to open in case of emergency. You will much more confident in your doors being able to sustain any sort of forced entry.
- 【SECURITY AND PRIVACY】- This portable door lock provides you with extra security and privacy, greatly improving your security and preventing unauthorized entry, so the door can't be opened from the outside, not even with a key; which is a great helper for you when you are on business and trips, or live alone.
- 【EASY TO USE】 - Easy to install or remove, this door lock can be installed in seconds without any tools, even in emergency situations and in the dark. Just insert the metal piece into the slot of the door lock, close the door, and then put the handle groove to the stud on the metal sheet, then no one can open the door from outside.
- 【HEAVY DUTY LOCK】- The door security device is made of strong stainless steel. Rugged ABS plastic cover to prevent damage to doors under pressure. Steel surfaces with electroplating and polishing technology ensure a smooth touch and minimize any injury to your skin. A strong door lock with high quality may guarantee prolonged service life.
Know more about these brands –
The Company with a history of over 80 years is a leading manufacturer of doorknobs and locks and other hardware products.
The price of a typical deadbolt starts from $30 with the maximum price going up to $110 depending on the type and style. (Buy from Amazon)
A leading lock and lockset manufacturer the company was founded in 1946. It is an industry leader and innovator in home safety.
It manufactures a complete line of door locks and other hardware. The price of the products varies from $12 up to $220. (Buy from Amazon)
In the end.
It is to be noted that no lock is 100 percent guaranteed to protect your house from intruders.
However, you can greatly lower the risk of an intruder being able to break into your house by using deadbolt locks and plates on the main door so it becomes difficult for him to break in.
Also make sure that locks that you install are bump proof, because it won’t matter how physically secure your entrance doors are if a criminal decides to enter your home with a bump key purchased online.
Here is the list of popular deadbolt models for you again, check them out –
Last update on 2022-06-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API