By definition, a deadbolt lock is “a lock bolt that is moved by turning a knob or key without the action of a spring.”
In simple words, it is a lock that can be opened only through a key or knob and cannot be easily battered or bored. They tend to resist any forced entry into the house and thus offer a good security to the house.
These doors are not spring activated hence cannot be jimmied open with a knife or any other object.
There are mainly three types of Deadbolt Locks:
Single Cylinder Deadbolt: This is a simple deadbolt lock which is activated or opened from one side through a key while there is a thumb piece on the interior side.
These types of locks are used in the doors which do not have any breakable glass near the thumb piece turn. As the intruder might break the glass, turn the knob and enter in.
Double Cylinder Deadbolt: This is a deadbolt lock that is activated through key from both the sides. These can be used in the situation where there is a breakable glass near the knob. But these also hinder escape in a situation of fire etc.
Keyless Cylinder Deadbolt: These are the most easily operated deadbolt locks that can simply be opened with a fingerprint scan or password and can be closed with a button or knob.
Features of a secure deadbolt lock
- The bolt must extend to one inch in diameter and should be made of hardened steel.
- The collar of the cylindrical locks must properly be tapered and be free spinning so that it is difficult to grip it with a pliers or wrench.
- The connecting screw must be on the inside and made up of solid steel. No exposed screw heads should be present or seen.
- The connecting screws must be at least ¼ inch in diameter and go into solid metal shock, not screw posts.
Advantages of a deadbolt lock
Some key advantages of a deadbolt lock:
- The unique locking mechanism gives you the utmost protection against forceful physical attack.
- Standard locks may be forcibly unlocked using crowbars etc. or can be opened through key or knife as they operate on a spring mechanism. While the deadbolt locks are nearly impossible to break in this manner.
- The deadbolt lock requires a lot of time to break in and is tougher to open so it leaves the decision on the intruder that whether to break into house or not as this increases the chances of him being spotted or caught.
Limitations of a Deadbolt Lock
Although deadbolt locks are believed to be very secure but still they suffer from some drawbacks:
- Although these locks are typically very durable and difficult to cut through they are susceptible to lock bumping. Bump-resistant deadbolts are more expensive.
- In case of a keyless deadbolt lock any intruder can enter your house by guessing the password of your security lock.
- Unlike we misplace our house keys we may also forget the password of the lock and may get stuck outside the house.
- In case of double-keyed deadbolt lock, the residents may find themselves unable to find the interior key when needed. They may get trapped inside in case of fire and emergencies if they misplace their interior key.
- And these deadbolts can also be kicked through if there is a weakness in a door frame with the bolt going right through the frame if there is a weakness in the frame.
Cost of Deadbolt locks
Deadbolt Locks are the easiest way to deter an intruder. One should at least expect to spend about $30 to $50 for its purchase.
You should never compromise on the quality of the lock as the cheaper ones are easy to pick and the strength of bolt isn’t very strong.
Top brands of Deadbolt Lock
Schlage: The Company with a history of over 80 years is a leading manufacturer of doorknobs and locks and other hardware products.
The price of a typical deadbolt starts from $30 with the maximum price going up to $110 depending on the type and style. (Buy from Amazon)
Kwikset: A leading lock and lockset manufacturer the company was founded in 1946. It is an industry leader and innovator in home safety.
It manufactures a complete line of door locks and other hardware. The price of the products varies from $12 up to $220. (Buy from Amazon)
In the end.
It is to be noted that no lock is 100 percent guaranteed to protect your house from intruders.
However, you can greatly lower the risk of an intruder being able to break into your house by using deadbolt locks and plates on the main door so it becomes difficult for him to break in.
Also make sure that locks that you install are bump proof, because it won’t matter how physically secure your entrance doors are if a criminal decides to enter your home with a bump key purchased online.