ReviewsWorthy.net is reader-supported. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.Learn more
By definition, a deadbolt lock is “a lock bolt that is moved by turning a knob or key without the action of a spring.”
In simple words, it is a lock that can be opened only through a key or knob and cannot be easily battered or bored. They tend to resist any forced entry into the house and thus offer a good security to the house.
These doors are not spring activated hence cannot be jimmied open with a knife or any other object.
Types of Deadbolt locks
There are mainly three types of Deadbolt Locks:
Single Cylinder Deadbolt: This is a simple deadbolt lock which is activated or opened from one side through a key while there is a thumb piece on the interior side.
These types of locks are used in the doors which do not have any breakable glass near the thumb piece turn. As the intruder might break the glass, turn the knob and enter in.
Double Cylinder Deadbolt: This is a deadbolt lock that is activated through key from both the sides. These can be used in the situation where there is a breakable glass near the knob. But these also hinder escape in a situation of fire etc.
Keyless Cylinder Deadbolt: These are the most easily operated deadbolt locks that can simply be opened with a fingerprint scan or password and can be closed with a button or knob.
Features of a secure deadbolt lock
- The bolt must extend to one inch in diameter and should be made of hardened steel.
- The collar of the cylindrical locks must properly be tapered and be free spinning so that it is difficult to grip it with pliers or wrench.
- The connecting screw must be on the inside and made up of solid steel. No exposed screw heads should be present or seen.
- The connecting screws must be at least ¼ inch in diameter and go into solid metal shock, not screw posts.
Advantages of a deadbolt lock
Some key advantages of a deadbolt lock:
- The unique locking mechanism gives you the utmost protection against forceful physical attack.
- Standard locks may be forcibly unlocked using crowbars etc. or can be opened through key or knife as they operate on a spring mechanism. While the deadbolt locks are nearly impossible to break in this manner.
- The deadbolt lock requires a lot of time to break in and is tougher to open so it leaves the decision on the intruder that whether to break into the house or not as this increases the chances of him being spotted or caught.
Limitations of a Deadbolt Lock
Although deadbolt locks are believed to be very secure but still they suffer from some drawbacks:
- Although these locks are typically very durable and difficult to cut through they are susceptible to lock bumping. Bump-resistant deadbolts are more expensive.
- In case of a keyless deadbolt lock, any intruder can enter your house by guessing the password of your security lock.
- Unlike we misplace our house keys we may also forget the password of the lock and may get stuck outside the house.
- In case of a double-keyed deadbolt lock, the residents may find themselves unable to find the interior key when needed. They may get trapped inside in case of fire and emergencies if they misplace their interior key.
- And these deadbolts can also be kicked through if there is a weakness in a door frame with the bolt going right through the frame if there is a weakness in the frame.
Cost of Deadbolt locks
Deadbolt Locks are the easiest way to deter an intruder. One should at least expect to spend about $30 to $50 for its purchase.
You should never compromise on the quality of the lock as the cheaper ones are easy to pick and the strength of bolt isn’t very strong.
Top brands of Deadbolt Lock
Check out popular deadbolt lock models –
- Keyed entry deadbolt with a traditional colonial design for an exterior door; easy installation in just minutes with a screwdriver
- For use on exterior doors where a deadbolt on one side and keyed entry and security is needed
- Features SmartKey Security Re-key your lock in 3 easy steps; Compatible with Kwikset KW1 Keyway
- Ansi Grade-3 Security Single Cylinder Deadbolt With Decorative Turn-Piece
- Tough Steel Cylinder Guard And Solid Brass Cylinder
- Full 1’ Throw Deadbolt
- Electronic single-cylinder deadbolt with customizable keyless entry, 1-touch/timed locking, and low-battery indication
- Create six customizable user codes plus single-use temporary codes for visitors or maintenance workers
- Customizable automatic door locking after 10-99 seconds for peace of mind
- UPGRADE YOUR EXISTING DEADBOLT: August smart locks fit on the inside of your door, making your regular deadbolt smarter, more secure and way more convenient. Keep your keys just in case (but you won’t need them).
- GRANT ACCESS WITH THE AUGUST APP: Forget key copying. Quickly and easily share permanent, scheduled or temporary access to your home with friends, family and other people you trust, and never put a key under the doormat again.
- EASY TO INSTALL ON ANY DOOR: Even if you’re not so handy, installation only takes about 10 minutes. August locks fit perfectly over most single cylinder deadbolts and aren't much bigger than your original thumbturn.
Know more about these brands –
The Company with a history of over 80 years is a leading manufacturer of doorknobs and locks and other hardware products.
The price of a typical deadbolt starts from $30 with the maximum price going up to $110 depending on the type and style. (Buy from Amazon)
A leading lock and lockset manufacturer the company was founded in 1946. It is an industry leader and innovator in home safety.
It manufactures a complete line of door locks and other hardware. The price of the products varies from $12 up to $220. (Buy from Amazon)
In the end.
It is to be noted that no lock is 100 percent guaranteed to protect your house from intruders.
However, you can greatly lower the risk of an intruder being able to break into your house by using deadbolt locks and plates on the main door so it becomes difficult for him to break in.
Also make sure that locks that you install are bump proof, because it won’t matter how physically secure your entrance doors are if a criminal decides to enter your home with a bump key purchased online.
Here is the list of popular deadbolt models for you again, check them out –
Last update on 2021-12-31 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API