By definition, a deadbolt lock is “a lock bolt that is moved by turning a knob or key without the action of a spring.”
In simple words, it is a lock that can be opened only through a key or knob and cannot be easily battered or bored. They tend to resist any forced entry into the house and thus offer a good security to the house.
These doors are not spring activated hence cannot be jimmied open with a knife or any other object.
Types of Deadbolt locks
There are mainly three types of Deadbolt Locks:
Single Cylinder Deadbolt: This is a simple deadbolt lock which is activated or opened from one side through a key while there is a thumb piece on the interior side.
These types of locks are used in the doors which do not have any breakable glass near the thumb piece turn. As the intruder might break the glass, turn the knob and enter in.
Double Cylinder Deadbolt: This is a deadbolt lock that is activated through key from both the sides. These can be used in the situation where there is a breakable glass near the knob. But these also hinder escape in a situation of fire etc.
Keyless Cylinder Deadbolt: These are the most easily operated deadbolt locks that can simply be opened with a fingerprint scan or password and can be closed with a button or knob.
Features of a secure deadbolt lock
- The bolt must extend to one inch in diameter and should be made of hardened steel.
- The collar of the cylindrical locks must properly be tapered and be free spinning so that it is difficult to grip it with pliers or wrench.
- The connecting screw must be on the inside and made up of solid steel. No exposed screw heads should be present or seen.
- The connecting screws must be at least ¼ inch in diameter and go into solid metal shock, not screw posts.
Advantages of a deadbolt lock
Some key advantages of a deadbolt lock:
- The unique locking mechanism gives you the utmost protection against forceful physical attack.
- Standard locks may be forcibly unlocked using crowbars etc. or can be opened through key or knife as they operate on a spring mechanism. While the deadbolt locks are nearly impossible to break in this manner.
- The deadbolt lock requires a lot of time to break in and is tougher to open so it leaves the decision on the intruder that whether to break into the house or not as this increases the chances of him being spotted or caught.
Limitations of a Deadbolt Lock
Although deadbolt locks are believed to be very secure but still they suffer from some drawbacks:
- Although these locks are typically very durable and difficult to cut through they are susceptible to lock bumping. Bump-resistant deadbolts are more expensive.
- In case of a keyless deadbolt lock, any intruder can enter your house by guessing the password of your security lock.
- Unlike we misplace our house keys we may also forget the password of the lock and may get stuck outside the house.
- In case of a double-keyed deadbolt lock, the residents may find themselves unable to find the interior key when needed. They may get trapped inside in case of fire and emergencies if they misplace their interior key.
- And these deadbolts can also be kicked through if there is a weakness in a door frame with the bolt going right through the frame if there is a weakness in the frame.
Cost of Deadbolt locks
Deadbolt Locks are the easiest way to deter an intruder. One should at least expect to spend about $30 to $50 for its purchase.
You should never compromise on the quality of the lock as the cheaper ones are easy to pick and the strength of bolt isn’t very strong.
Top brands of Deadbolt Lock
Check out popular deadbolt lock models –
- Keyless entry; unlock your door can be much easier than fumbling with a key when your arms are full of groceries; this keypad lock provides easy key free access to your home using an illuminated, highly responsive keypad; optional mechanical key override lock is available as an extra backup
- Maximum convenience; give your pet sitter one time access code to your place while you are out of town, or issue up to 20 easy to remember user codes for your guests, especially for kids or the elders; this keypad door lock also allows you to set the door to automatically lock after 10 to 99 seconds or apply 1 touch motorized locking, so you never have to worry about whether you locked your door
- Easy to install and program; no costly locksmith required; with the detailed manual and instructional video, you will be able to install and program this electronic door lock all by yourself; battery powered by 4 aa batteries and requires no hard wiring
- Keyless entry convenience, no more hiding and losing keys; backlit keyboard, no need to look for keys in the dark; this electronic keypad deadbolt lock makes you access home at ease just with one passcode, save your tons of time
- Make sharing easier and happier, say goodbye to the physical key's handover, create 20 unique user codes for your little kids, friends and relatives; what's more, you can create a single-use temporary code for the pet sitter or maintenance workers, and then you can delete them any time
- No more worry about forgetting to lock the door, customizable set the auto locking time between 10-99 seconds for peace of mind; if you don't need the auto locking function, you can turn it off manually; then pressing any one button, the front door locks will lock immediately
- Wi-Fi Enabled: Kwikset Halo smart lock is a Wi-Fi connected door lock that connects directly to your home Wi-Fi network and smartphone for a secure smart home that does not require a third party smart home hub, panel or subscription
- 250 Customer User Codes: Create up to 250 unique user codes for friends, family, or guests that you can disable, or delete from the Kwikset App; Set schedules for custom user codes from your smartphone using the Kwikset app as well
- Receive Notifications: Receive notifications of your lock's activity and view the lock event history from your smartphone using the Kwikset app
- 【Keyless Entry Door Lock】2 ways to unlock/lock, smart door lock: Passcode and Mechanical Key. You can program up to 10 easy-to-remember codes for your family or friends, especially suitable for children and the elderly bedroom
- 【Security Auto-Lock Function】When you go in and out of the bedroom, garage or storage room, you don't need to worry about whether to remember to lock the door door. The smart door lock will automatically lock after a fixed time (10-999 seconds, can be customized), upgrade your existing bedroom door lock, bringing you great convenience.
- 【Advanced Screen Function】In order to prevent others from snooping on the password and causing the password to be disclosed, you can enter 1-6 random numbers before entering the password, and the smart door lock will automatically identify the real password behind to unlock it. You can install it on the doors of garages and storage rooms and never worry about someone sneaking in.
Know more about these brands –
The Company with a history of over 80 years is a leading manufacturer of doorknobs and locks and other hardware products.
The price of a typical deadbolt starts from $30 with the maximum price going up to $110 depending on the type and style. (Buy from Amazon)
A leading lock and lockset manufacturer the company was founded in 1946. It is an industry leader and innovator in home safety.
It manufactures a complete line of door locks and other hardware. The price of the products varies from $12 up to $220. (Buy from Amazon)
In the end.
It is to be noted that no lock is 100 percent guaranteed to protect your house from intruders.
However, you can greatly lower the risk of an intruder being able to break into your house by using deadbolt locks and plates on the main door so it becomes difficult for him to break in.
Also make sure that locks that you install are bump proof, because it won’t matter how physically secure your entrance doors are if a criminal decides to enter your home with a bump key purchased online.
Here is the list of popular deadbolt models for you again, check them out –
Last update on 2021-07-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API