ReviewsWorthy.net is reader-supported. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.Learn more
Microwaves are the electromagnetic radiations whose frequency ranges from 0.3 GHz to 300 GHz.
These waves are mostly used for the non- broadcasting issues. Unlike other waves, these waves have a narrow beam which imparts it with the characteristic features like broad bandwidth and high data transmission rate.
These waves are used in space crafts, communication satellites and various other fields like TV, telephone communications and security systems.
Microwave motion detector- introduction
One of the unique use of these waves is in the operation of various security devices. These days, the security and surveillance concerns have risen and so has the tools to deal with such menaces.
Microwave motion detectors are one of the motion sensors which detect the intruder’s motion into a specific portion and triggers alarm as a consequence.
These detectors emit microwaves into the specific region and detect any intrusion by analyzing the frequency of the received microwaves after the reflection from the intruder.
The main guiding principle for almost all of these sensors has been the Doppler’s Effect. A microwave motion detector circuit mainly comprises of components- the transmitter, receiver and the alarm/related circuit. The transmitter sends off microwaves into the area.
These waves have a specific frequency. However, as they strike with an intruder moving with a velocity, the frequency and consequently, the phase of the wave signal gets altered.
Once these reflected waves are received by the receiver, its phase analysis is done and consequently, an alarm is triggered on if the analysis depicts some change in the phase of the wave signals.
It is worth mentioning here that the change in phase of the signal wave is directly proportional to the velocity of the intruder.
Today, with an advancement in technology, we are endowed with a variety of microwave motion detectors. Let us have a look at them:
Detector combating false alarms: Most of the microwave motion detectors work upon the principle discussed in the previous section. However, there is a kind of disadvantages which these kinds of sensors suffer from.
The problem is related to the cases of false alarms which occur even due to slight vibrations of objects like curtain and swinging signs.
To combat this problem, an improved detector has been designed which contains all the components of a normal sensor along with two receiver/mixer diodes.
These diodes emit surveying signals which mix up with the transmitted microwave signal.
These altered phase signals when received by the receiver, trigger the alarm only when the shift in phase has been upto the threshold frequency change pre-fed into the sensor.
Once, this pre-fed threshold frequency is over-crossed, the alarm is triggered on.
In another kind of detector, the sensor device consists of field transceivers which have microwave oscillator and antennae so that continuous wave energy is transmitted into the specified area.
These antennae contain certain devices which can easily recognize the human intrusion by analyzing the phase shift occurred in the received wave. Thus, in this way, it is ensured that the cases of false alarm do not arise easily.
Detector-based upon random motion: Some of the detectors contain diodes which enable the detector to sense whether the intruder is moving towards or away from the detector.
These detectors are helpful in sensing and differentiating between the ordinary movement and intruder movement. This feature of such sensors makes them highly reliable.
Uses of microwave motion detector
- The microwave motion detectors have a wide array of application. Some of them are enlisted below:
- These detectors, apart from addressing security problems, are also used in door openings .
- These detectors are used to detect the heartbeat and breathing rate of a human.
- These detectors are used in the elevator shaftway where they are used to display the information regarding the parking of a car in an elevated parking system.
- These sensors are used in security issues and traffic law enforcement.
- They are used in monitoring the light system of a house or a building.
Benefits and Limitations of microwave motion detector
Some key benefits are:
- Unlike other detectors, the microwave motion detectors can be used in a harsh environment where the heat cycles are not regular.
- Since the microwave radiations can easily penetrate through the walls and holes, so, they can be used to impart security across the boundary/closings.
- These detectors when combines with passive infrared detectors can become much reluctant to false alarms.
- The cases of false alarms can be high.
- The sensors do not operate continuously. Rather, they work in intervals. So there are large chances of any intrusion being left unnoticed.
- As they require a continuous power supply, so the batteries used by these detectors are expensive and large batteries.
How to buy a good microwave motion detector
A buyer has to take a lot of factors into his consideration while purchasing an appropriate security device. Taking this into consideration, we present a cluster of some advice regarding the purchase of the microwave motion detector.
- A good microwave motion detector should have ba road range and wide angle coverage so that even the slightest of the unwanted movements could be detected.
- The sensor should be highly sensitive.
- Battery operated detectors are easy to install than their electric counterpart. However, a good sensor should be both battery and electric operating.
- The range of the detector should be adjustable.
- The sensor should be based upon latest technology.
Popular Microwave Motion Detector Brands
At the conclusion of the article, we present a list of famous brands which are known for their quality microwave motion sensor products. The buyers can certainly check this list once before they go out for purchasing a sensor.
Here is a list of some great sensors available on Amazon –
- MOTION SENSOR LED LIGHT BAR: Upgrade your home ambiance and add a touch of elegance and technology with VyanLight Motion Sensor LED Lights. Our closet light features Passive Infrared Technology (PIR), which detects human motion to turn it on in the dark. The wardrobe-led light comes with 10 high-quality LED lights to provide bright lighting in a dark environment.
- BUILT-IN HIGH-QUALITY SENSORS: This motion sensor night light has a 9-foot sensor range to automatically turn off after 20 seconds with no motion or if other light sources are detected. WORKS IN THE DARK ONLY Light sensor detects other lights and won’t switch on the light. The 7.5" x 1.2" LED bar makes an optimal solution for lighting compact spaces and dark corners.
- BATTERY OPERATED BRIGHT LIGHTS: VyanLight motion-activated LED lights are wireless for quick, easy, and neat installation. Each under-cabinet light bar is powered by 4 AAA batteries (not included). Detach the lights from the magnetic strip for quick battery replacement. The built-in daylight sensor ensures a long battery life by not turning on when other light sources are detected.
- 1、★【New upgrading】: This led closet lights with 30 lamp beads adopt a new design and production process. The LED lamp emits light on the side. The light is refracted to the light guide plate through the reflector, and then evenly distributed on the lamp surface through the diffuser plate. This light is brighter (with a brightness of up to 200 lumens), but it is not glare and the light is quite soft. This usb rechargeable led undercabinet lighting is made of aluminum alloy.
- 2、★【EASY TO INSTALL】Built-in Magnet to Stick on Any ironwork: This wireless motion sensor closet light can stick on any ironwork, or you can use the included adhesive tape to tape and iron sheet to stick on any non-iron article surface. When need charge or change place, you can the take closet light off anytime.
- 3、★【3 Working Modes Adjustable】: These stick on closet lights have a 3 mode switch which is On-Off-G to set it always ON,Off or Motion Sensor mode. Therefore, you can used these closet lights as normal night light for closet/cabinet/drawer or motion sensor light.under G mode and dark environment, these under cabinet lights will automatically senses human motion within 10ft/120°range and shuts off automatically after 20 seconds of no movement.
- OUR PROMISE TO YOU – Your 100% satisfaction is assured and backed by a Full-Service Manufacturer's Warranty and Dedicated Customer Support (see user manual for details)
- GENTLE & SILENT LID CLOSE – Durable, ergonomic pedal requires minimal force to open; easy to replace air damper for years of like-new performance
- BEAUTIFUL STAINLESS STEEL – Elegant, fingerprint-proof, smudge-resistant Stainless Steel is easy to clean. Complements any kitchen or office décor.
- Upgrade Daylight/Night Mode: Slide the switch to turn photocell sensor on/off. Under DAYLIGHT mode, motion motivated light on all day long, and under the NIGHT mode, the light only could be detected at night and turns off automatically after 20 seconds. Humanization design motion sensor light indoor
- Closet Lights Motion Sensored: Built-in PIR infrared motion detector with 120 degree detection angle. Battery powered ceiling Light instantly turns on when it detects motion from up to 20 feet away
- 400 LUMENS/6000K: Super bright, with 80 pcs bright & long life-span SMD2835 LEDs. It diffuses well in all directions also spreads a wider coverage 300sqft, frosted lamp cover designed to soften light illuminate, it will not make the eyes uncomfortable even suddenly lighting at night. Protect your lover and children from darkness and fear
More details on these brands below
It is a global brand under which various products related to home and business security are marketed. The products range from intrusion detectors to fire and automation products.
The products, developed with advanced technology, are highly sensitive and efficient in ensuring the security.
Its products are:
- Honeywell intrusion 5898 wireless dual-tec motion detector
- Low risk of false alarms
- Temperature sensitive
It is a Hongkong based company which manufactures after marketing electronic devices. The products are cheap and of better quality.
LED indicator dual technology PIR microwave detector
- Anti -radiation interference
- For indoor use only
- Adjustable range
It is a Hongkong based company which known for the quality products related to security problems. Its microwave motion detector product are:
SUNLIT TECH OTD-40T Wired 2 Pir and Microwave Motion Detector for Outdoor Protection
- Water proof
The company is famous for manufacturing a wide range of security products ranging from motion sensors to door alarms for both commercial and household use.
NAPCO C-100STE Motion Detector PIR MICRO 30 X 35 SELF TEST
- Broad range
- Automatic temperature compensation
It is important to understand the benefits and limitations of a motion detector before buying it to ensure it is suitable for the purpose.
Last update on 2022-10-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API