Microwaves are the electromagnetic radiations whose frequency ranges from 0.3 GHz to 300 GHz.
These waves are mostly used for the non- broadcasting issues. Unlike other waves, these waves have a narrow beam which imparts it with the characteristic features like broad bandwidth and high data transmission rate.
These waves are used in space crafts, communication satellites and various other fields like TV, telephone communications and security systems.
Microwave motion detector- introduction
One of the unique use of these waves is in the operation of various security devices. These days, the security and surveillance concerns have risen and so has the tools to deal with such menaces.
Microwave motion detectors are one of the motion sensors which detect the intruder’s motion into a specific portion and triggers alarm as a consequence.
These detectors emit microwaves into the specific region and detect any intrusion by analyzing the frequency of the received microwaves after the reflection from the intruder.
The main guiding principle for almost all of these sensors has been the Doppler’s Effect. A microwave motion detector circuit mainly comprises of components- the transmitter, receiver and the alarm/related circuit. The transmitter sends off microwaves into the area.
These waves have a specific frequency. However, as they strike with an intruder moving with a velocity, the frequency and consequently, the phase of the wave signal gets altered.
Once these reflected waves are received by the receiver, its phase analysis is done and consequently, an alarm is triggered on if the analysis depicts some change in the phase of the wave signals.
It is worth mentioning here that the change in phase of the signal wave is directly proportional to the velocity of the intruder.
Today, with an advancement in technology, we are endowed with a variety of microwave motion detectors. Let us have a look at them:
Detector combating false alarms: Most of the microwave motion detectors work upon the principle discussed in the previous section. However, there is a kind of disadvantages which these kinds of sensors suffer from.
The problem is related to the cases of false alarms which occur even due to slight vibrations of objects like curtain and swinging signs.
To combat this problem, an improved detector has been designed which contains all the components of a normal sensor along with two receiver/mixer diodes.
These diodes emit surveying signals which mix up with the transmitted microwave signal.
These altered phase signals when received by the receiver, trigger the alarm only when the shift in phase has been upto the threshold frequency change pre-fed into the sensor.
Once, this pre-fed threshold frequency is over-crossed, the alarm is triggered on.
In another kind of detector, the sensor device consists of field transceivers which have microwave oscillator and antennae so that continuous wave energy is transmitted into the specified area.
These antennae contain certain devices which can easily recognize the human intrusion by analyzing the phase shift occurred in the received wave. Thus, in this way, it is ensured that the cases of false alarm do not arise easily.
Detector-based upon random motion: Some of the detectors contain diodes which enable the detector to sense whether the intruder is moving towards or away from the detector.
These detectors are helpful in sensing and differentiating between the ordinary movement and intruder movement. This feature of such sensors makes them highly reliable.
Uses of microwave motion detector
- The microwave motion detectors have a wide array of application. Some of them are enlisted below:
- These detectors, apart from addressing security problems, are also used in door openings .
- These detectors are used to detect the heartbeat and breathing rate of a human.
- These detectors are used in the elevator shaftway where they are used to display the information regarding the parking of a car in an elevated parking system.
- These sensors are used in security issues and traffic law enforcement.
- They are used in monitoring the light system of a house or a building.
Benefits and Limitations of microwave motion detector
Some key benefits are:
- Unlike other detectors, the microwave motion detectors can be used in a harsh environment where the heat cycles are not regular.
- Since the microwave radiations can easily penetrate through the walls and holes, so, they can be used to impart security across the boundary/closings.
- These detectors when combines with passive infrared detectors can become much reluctant to false alarms.
- The cases of false alarms can be high.
- The sensors do not operate continuously. Rather, they work in intervals. So there are large chances of any intrusion being left unnoticed.
- As they require a continuous power supply, so the batteries used by these detectors are expensive and large batteries.
How to buy a good microwave motion detector
A buyer has to take a lot of factors into his consideration while purchasing an appropriate security device. Taking this into consideration, we present a cluster of some advice regarding the purchase of the microwave motion detector.
- A good microwave motion detector should have ba road range and wide angle coverage so that even the slightest of the unwanted movements could be detected.
- The sensor should be highly sensitive.
- Battery operated detectors are easy to install than their electric counterpart. However, a good sensor should be both battery and electric operating.
- The range of the detector should be adjustable.
- The sensor should be based upon latest technology.
Popular Microwave Motion Detector Brands
At the conclusion of the article, we present a list of famous brands which are known for their quality microwave motion sensor products. The buyers can certainly check this list once before they go out for purchasing a sensor.
Here is a list of some great sensors available on Amazon –
- High Bay Partner: The Leonlite microwave motion sensor is specifically tailored for our Leonlite high bay fixture, providing an easy upgrade by adding the ability to detect movement! The translucent top cover features more sensitive motion detecting.
- Long Detection Distance: Microwave motion sensors have longer detection distances than infrared. With a detection range of 52.5ft and a maximum height of 49.2ft, it has max 360-degree detection
- Adjustable Settings: These include induction sensitive setting, hold time, cut off, standby dimming and light control blockade setting. You can set them according to your requirements
- SAFE AND RELIABLE: The microwave sensor is safe, reliable, high detection probability, low false alarm, high resistance to fog, wind, dust, snow and extreme temperature
- STABLE: The microwave sensor is based on Doppler principle and RADAR technology, the rod antenna and high performance microchip are used, and the working state is stable
- DETECT HUMAN MOTION: Microwave radar is used as a control signal source to detect human motion. When someone enters the detection area, the indicator lights up immediately
- 【Function】Can accurately identify the movement of living and nonliving bodies, minimizing the rate of misoperation.
- 【Automatically Identify】Can automatically identify the strength of the ambient light, and the light will be on when the lighting requirements are set and there are people, otherwise it will not be on.
- 【Full Automatic Induction】Full automatic induction, lights on when people come, and lights off when people go, safe and energysaving, free from external influences such as sound and objects.
- Technology: Microwave & Microwave Disposer
- Frequency: 24.125Ghz
- Transmitting Power: 20dBm EIRP
More details on these brands below
It is a global brand under which various products related to home and business security are marketed. The products range from intrusion detectors to fire and automation products.
The products, developed with advanced technology, are highly sensitive and efficient in ensuring the security.
Its products are:
- Honeywell intrusion 5898 wireless dual-tec motion detector
- Low risk of false alarms
- Temperature sensitive
It is a Hongkong based company which manufactures after marketing electronic devices. The products are cheap and of better quality.
LED indicator dual technology PIR microwave detector
- Anti -radiation interference
- For indoor use only
- Adjustable range
It is a Hongkong based company which known for the quality products related to security problems. Its microwave motion detector product are:
SUNLIT TECH OTD-40T Wired 2 Pir and Microwave Motion Detector for Outdoor Protection
- Water proof
The company is famous for manufacturing a wide range of security products ranging from motion sensors to door alarms for both commercial and household use.
NAPCO C-100STE Motion Detector PIR MICRO 30 X 35 SELF TEST
- Broad range
- Automatic temperature compensation
It is important to understand the benefits and limitations of a motion detector before buying it to ensure it is suitable for the purpose.
Last update on 2021-09-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API