Westinghouse has been proving its toil in the generator market lately and there is no denying the fact that the quality and reliability they provide for the price range is something to really appreciate and is very commendable.
The generator we are talking of today is the Westinghouse iGen2500 portable generator with 2500 Watt surge power and 2200 Watt running power.
The generator’s appearance is quite decent and is lightweight and compact, designed according to your convenience.
The generator is gasoline-powered and is known for its tremendous fuel efficiency. For more details, keep on reading!
- In Brief: Westinghouse iGen2500 Review
- Design Aspects
- Design, Dimensions & Weight
- Power Output/Generation
- Fuel and Noise
- Display & Control Panel
- Start up and Shut down
- Additional Features
- Care and Maintenance
- Consumer Review Analysis
- Can synthetic oil be used for the unit?
- Can the generator be stored in cold temperatures outside?
- Does the product have a warranty?
- If the gas tank is full, will it prevent corrosion from rust and moisture?
- Will exposure to rain or snow affect the unit?
- Can the unit be made to operate on diesel?
- The oil leaks from the tank. What should be done?
- What if my unit stops working abruptly?
- Can the exhaust be vented in a closed area?
- Can this directly be connected to an electrical system?
- Can more than one set be paralleled?
- What do you mean by starting power?
- Can the generator be made to run continuously?
- Will there be any major issues if the generator is overloaded?
- Does the breaker take long to reset?
- Our Recommendation
- Recommended Accessories
The generator has a decent appearance to it and looks rather nice.
Design, Dimensions & Weight
The outer covering of the generator is made up of plastic. The blue shell of the unit is designed in an extremely convenient way of carrying around and for transporting to places.
The control panel is on the front of the unit with the exhaust on the opposite and recoil handle on one side of the body.
Weight-wise, as compared to other models, this model is almost comparable in terms of portability.
Despite the fact that none of the compared models have wheels, so transportability is pretty much done the same way for this one, too.
Table: The weight of the model with contrast to some models turns out to be average; not very impressive
Following the L×W×H benchmark, the dimensions of the unit are 19.69”×11.22”×17.91”. Size-wise, it is compact, as evident from the dimensions.
The model weighs 48 pounds, which seems impressive to us, since the other models with the power of approximately 2000 Watts weigh almost the same.
So this one here is great for portability – lightweight and convenient.
The engine used in the Westinghouse iGen2500 is a sturdy 98cc Westinghouse 60 Hz 5500 RPM engine. The generator produces 2500 Watt surge power and 2200 Watt continuous power.
Like the other Westinghouse generator models, the engine is of remarkable quality and delivers power for a very long time; i.e., the fuel efficiency is also pretty great.
The starting system for the generator is recoil, and the recoil handle is placed very well in the unit. The grip of the coil is also very sturdy, and the engine fires up in 1-2 pulls.
The generator comes with inverter technology as well which provides pure sine wave for operation of sensitive electronics, so you need not worry about damaging or harming them while functioning on the generator.
The power rating of this generator is absolutely excellent when evaluated against some of the most popular products in the market.
It beats all of the generators and stands on the top with its great 2500/2200 Watt capacity.
Table: The model tops the chart for power rating among all the others
Fuel and Noise
Talking of the noise levels of the generator, this unit is very quiet while its operation hours. You could be standing right next to it and having a conversation, without realizing that it is running right beside.
For its silent operation, the company has included a double insulated acoustic enclosure to minimize the motor vibrations and also has incorporated tone mufflers for even hushed functioning.
Being amongst the most silent models among the generator family, the Westinghouse iGen2500 is a great buy for people facing noise issues with such power generating products.
Table: The noise levels of the model are incredibly low
The operating fuel for the Westinghouse iGen2500 is gasoline. We strongly recommend using only the prescribed gasoline by the company which we have listed below.
Please bear in mind always that before you start the generator, always check the level of engine oil and gasoline in the fuel tank.
Also, in case you forget to do so and the engine gets warmed up, do not add either engine oil or fuel to it.
Do not at all attempt to start the engine without adding engine oil as it may cause permanent damage to the internal engine components.
The fuel capacity for this model isn’t extremely well, but we will say it’s comparable to a lot of other models in the spectrum.
Table: The tank capacity for Westinghouse iGen2500 is average compared to its competitors
Use only good quality gasoline recommended by the company, and do not try to make the unit on any other fuel type apart from that recommended.
Use unleaded gasoline only with a minimum 10% ethanol added and with an 87 octane rating or more.
For the engine oil, the company recommends the use of 4 stroke engine oil, and not 2 stroke oil. Synthetic oil may be used as a substitute for conventional oil.
The Westinghouse iGen2500 is CARB compliant, so you need not worry about any harmful emissions or fumes presumed to be harmful to you.
You can take it anywhere, to any place.
The run time of the engine with a full tank of gasoline is approximately 7.7 hours at 25% load which is almost similar to its competitor products in the market providing up to 8 hours of operation at approximately 2000 Watt, contrary to the 2500 Watt here.
This is a little bit of a negative score for this generator because, for the power rating of the generator, we expected greater run time.
Though the model is great in a lot of aspects, it lacks behind in terms of operation hours for the fuel capacity it holds.
We’d say this con can be improved, but for now, this unit wouldn’t win the points this time.
Table: The operation hours aren’t very impressive for the iGen2500
Display & Control Panel
The positioning of the control panel is very impressive. Unlike the conventional placing on the side, this one has it on front.
The fact might not be very impressive to some, but it’s a little touch towards a better design we feel.
- 120 Volt Duplex: This outlet provides a maximum current of 20 amperes.
- USB Duplex: This outlet has DC current for its output of 5 volt each of 1 ampere and 2.1 amperes.
- Reset Breaker: This breaker protects the inverter from overloads, and trips as soon as it senses danger of overloading. In this case, the engine will not stop to operate, but there will not be any output from the generator.
- Efficiency Mode: This mode is majorly activated when you want to save the fuel and want the engine to run at low RPM. It reduces the power supply, too.
- Ground Terminal: This terminal is used to ground the inverter.
- Choke Switch: The switch is used to turn on the engine and put it to running condition.
- LED Display: This displays low oil indications, overloads and outputs along with fuel levels, power output percentage, run time and total number of operation hours on the unit. This is a great pro to the product since digital display is one extremely necessary factor in determining ease of operation and convenience.
Start up and Shut down
The proper start up and shut down of any appliance is very important and following it appropriately is essential for durability and prolonged proficient application.
Here we are listing the correct procedure to be followed for both of them, respectively.
For start up
- Unplug all appliances from the power outlet of the generator.
- Find the fuel tank vent switch and turn it on.
- Turn the engine control switch and shift it to the choke position.
- Take the recoil handle and pull it away from the generator; initially slowly, and then rapidly when some resistance is felt.
- Once you feel the engine is stabilized, turn the engine control switch to run position.
- Plug in the devices you wish to power.
For shut down
- Unplug all your devices powered from the generator.
- Turn the engine control switch to off position.
So is there any other specification in the product that makes it stand out from the others, apart from those we already mentioned before?
What are the some special features which would make you want to choose this product above all the others available in the market? Well, here’s the list:
LED Data Center
This LED display is one of the most major advantages of this model.
Displaying all basic details for its operation (like we’ve mentioned above), with just a glimpse, you can keep track of all you need to know about the hours of operation, refuelling, and output generation.
For further information, visit the link: http://www.westinghouseportablepower.com/wpcontent/uploads/2017/07/LED_display_information.pdf
This feature is amazing for those who feel 2500 Watt of power is not sufficient enough for them, and aren’t really willing on spending another $1500 for a generator of more power.
With this feature, you can pair up another Westinghouse iGen2500 in parallel for double the power, and the same quality. All you need is an additional parallel cable, and you’re good to go. A win-win situation!
With this technology, you can operate all your sensitive electronics without being anxious.
The pure sine wave output for cell phones and computers keeps the power supply safe and unadulterated: a feature you’re most certainly and essentially need.
The model is designed to provide 30-50% more fuel efficiency compared to the conventional and traditional generators.
The warranty period for the Westinghouse iGen2500 as stated by the company is 3 years.
Under this period, you’re entitled to claim any repair or replacement at any authorized service dealer of the company for any defective product free of any charge, keeping in consideration proper application, time periods, and any exclusion to the warranty.
Hence, we recommend you to keep the proof of purchase, like any receipts, with you at all times.
There are some exclusions to the warranty, cases in which you will not be entitled to request for it. We are here listing them:
- Use of non-Westinghouse parts in generator.
- Cost of regular maintenance and normal wear and tear or accidental and improper use
- Malfunction of generator caused by use of contaminated or inappropriate fuel.
- Any modifications made to the unit which the generator is not compatible with or which is not authorized by the company.
- Batteries, fluids and fuses.
For more details on the warranty provisions and other terms and conditions, visit
To claim the warranty, you have to produce the product at any authorized service centre along with the original proof of purchase and the unit at your own expense.
The warranty provider for the following unit is:
Westpro Power Systems,
LLC, W237 N2889
Woodgate Rd. Unit B,
Pewaukee, WI 53072
You can find a list of all the authorized Westinghouse service centres here:
Care and Maintenance
Regular care and maintenance of a product is as vital as its proper storage so as to protect it from dust and dirt.
Frequent upkeep of servicing the generator keeps it running smooth and provides longer efficiency and lifetime, ensuring healthy operation as well.
Here we mention some regular and basic maintenance schedules to be followed for the generator:
- Every Use: Check engine oil level before starting the unit. Check and clean the cooling filters and the exhaust, and inspect the air filter as well.
- Every Month: Change engine oil as contaminated or stale oil can damage the inverter.
- Every 3 Months: Change the engine oil and clean the air filter thoroughly. If the unit is being operated in dry and dusty environment, do this more often.
- Every 6 Months: Check and clean both the spark plug and spark arrestor.
- Every Year: Use of generator calls for the replacement of some parts. Replace the air filter and spark plug at the prescribed interval.
For detailed maintenance and care schedule, read the manual of the product.
Consumer Review Analysis
Consumer reviews are perhaps the best way to judge the pros and cons of any product. We visited some of the online portals which have the product and here is what the customers had to say:
What customers like:
- Easy Start: Starting the generator is fairly simple and effortless. The customers are all prises of how the unit fires up in 1-2 pulls and isn’t a hassle to put to operation at all.
- Reliability: Out of all the reviews, almost 80% of the reviewers talk about how the generator is exceptionally reliable. The startup is a hassle-free process and most of the consumers say that the power output is constant and uninterrupted. At camping places or power outages, the generator has worked like a breeze.
- Price: The customers are fans of the price which is also the best part of this generator. The trust of Westinghouse and the quality you get fir 2500 Watt at such an affordable price is something very commendable. It fits your budget without burning a huge hole in your wallet.
What customers dislike:
- Noise: Even though the noise levels are not bothersome, but the customers feel that compared to some of its competitors, the noise levels could have been slightly lower. Still, unlike the traditional ones, it isn’t blaring to the ears.
- Recoil Handle: Very rare customers have complained of the bad quality of the recoil handle, though the numbers are very low. Hence, we won’t really regard it as a negative point.
Being a budget product, the unit is bound to have its own set of pros and cons. Through the whole process of reviewing the product, here is what we analyzed:
- Price: What would be a better pro than a product of your need that fits your pocket? The power output, the quality, the customer service you get at this price is worth every dollar you spend at this guy.
- Portability: The 49 lb weight is so handy and portable; one cannot help but admire its transportability. Carrying it around is really easy, whether going for camping or any other place outdoors.
- Control Panel: The simple panel design of this product is very neatly organized and uncomplicated. Understanding the functions is really simple and not tedious at all.
- Efficiency Mode: This mode will help you save fuel and operate on less power in times when your power requirements are less, and will also reduce the noise levels drastically.
- Cheap Casing: The plastic used for the shell of the product is somewhat cheap and prone to breakage. Unlike soft plastics which are also great quality wise, the company has compromised on the quality of the skeleton.
- Noise Levels: The noise levels of the product aren’t very silent. This might be a little issue for some of the customers for whom noise is a big problem.
- No Wheels: Despite the light weight of the product, not having wheels is a slight disadvantage for times when you are too tired to carry a 49-pound generator around or when you have a lot of luggage to carry too.
In terms of price, the unit stands mediocre in the table. It’s not too cheap, but isn’t so expensive that it would cost you a fortune.
If you aren’t willing to spend too much money on a generator, this is a model you would want to consider.
On a whole, considering every facet of the product and having studied all of its features and pros and cons, here are our scores for the unit:
- Price – The price for this unit is moderate. It’s not too expensive or too cheap. Perfect for the regular price range. 8.5/10.
- Performance – Great reliability and dependability. 9/10 for the impression.
- Ease of Use – Overall portability, fuel filling, start-up, shut down, and the rest of the features, it’s justified to rate it 9/10.
- Noise – Greatly low levels of noise. Beats every model compared. 9/10.
- Fuel Tank capacity – The tank capacity wasn’t very impressive. We definitely expected more from this unit. 8/10.
- Overall – A trustworthy name and an equally justifiable product by the company. Reasonable price for the features. 9/10.
Overall, this product is a great value for money for power output and its reliability. Performance-wise and dependability wise, both, the product stands proudly among its competitors and is quite a superior unit. Recommended, of course!
To add a little more protection and convenience to your unit, some accessories are always great and good to have. Here are some of them to make your day with this guy better and more comfortable:
Having more power is always good, and for that, you’ll need to pair up that extra unit with your existing one using this cable. This one is compatible with this generator type and you can find it here>
To put it really short, this product is a great one to depend on at times of desperate power needs, or just for your regular outdoor adventures.
The power output is fairly sufficient, and in terms of ease of use and portability, it wins a lot of points.
Our recommendation, as mentioned is positive, and we’re sure you won’t regret even a dollar you spend on this one. So go ahead, and buy yourself some more convenience and comfortable hours of power outages!