In Brief: Westinghouse WH2000iXLT Portable Generator Review
Westinghouse WH2000iXLT seems very appealing, and the best part about it is the pocket-friendly price. The performance is also great, and by the analysis, we’ve done, the majority of the customers are happy with the reliability it provides. If you were to ask us, we’d highly recommend this product.
Westinghouse is a renowned name when it comes to the greatest quality appliances and energy solutions for you.
From electronics to lighting to power, they have been providing a legacy of superior quality products to its customers from 1886, and have proved to be an excellent label since.
The generator we talk about today is the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT with 2200 Watt of peak power and 1800 Watt of running power.
The generator is very lightweight and compact, and is one of the lightest ones in the spectrum of its competitors. The look of the generator is pretty good and with the price you’re getting the product at, it’s a steal deal.
The looks of the generator are decent, though we’d get into a more detailed review for it later in the article. For now, let’s give you a YouTube tour of the generator before we get started:
Design, Dimensions & Weight
The outer shell of the generator is made up of plastic, so as to reduce the overall weight of the product. It is slightly prone to scratches, but only if handled very roughly, and with prolonged use.
For the wheels, the product does not come with any, though; we wouldn’t really regard it as a disadvantage because of the extremely lightweight of the generator.
The generator weighs 20.25”x12.5”x15.25”, following the standard LxWxH dimension rule. It weighs 43 lbs, so carrying it around isn’t much of a job.
For portability, the model has an inbuilt handle to take around, which makes it highly convenient for carting for your camping or household power outages.
The model indubitably is the king among other generators out there. It stood first on our comparison list against all models and is amazingly lightweight.
If portability is your prime requirement, we suggest you go for this.
Table: Westinghouse WH2000iXLT is the lightest generator among the ones we compared it to
To start the engine, the model has a recoil method which fires up after a maximum of 2-3 recoils.
The engine used in the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT is a solid Westinghouse 79cc displacement 4 stroke OHV engine which is capable of generating 1800 Watt (15 Amp) of continuous power and 2200 Watt (18.3 Amp) of surge power.
Continuous power is the power which is needed uninterruptedly by your appliances, so the power consumption, in that case, can go up to 1800 Watt, whereas surge power is the power which is required by some appliances to get started by drawing some amount of momentary power more than their original power rating.
So altogether, you can run it for appliances like refrigerators, coffee makers, radios/stereos, microwave ovens, incandescent lights, fans, hairdryers, etc.
All you’ll have to bear in mind will be not to exceed the rated power limit while using your appliances, overloading the generator.
Certainly, owning a product does come with little precautions that everyone has to take care of.
In terms of power, the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT provides 2200/1800 Watt power, which we consider, is well above average compared to some models, but definitely not the best.
Table: The power output of the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT is better than a number of models
Fuel and Noise
The noise levels for the product are very, very low. The company claims it to be 52 dB at 25% load and 59 dB at 50% load.
The company has particularly focused on working on greatly reduced noise levels by the inclusion of an acoustic hood along with a dual muffler, since sound issues are of prior concern to a lot of audiences out there.
The product is extremely quiet while its operation and merges into the surrounding sounds without any trouble, so camping with this buddy is not a problem at all!
The noise levels are amazingly low for this unit, and thus, this guy tops the chart under low noise levels. If low noise is your primary concern, we absolutely recommend you to consider this model.
Table: Westinghouse WH2000iXLT wins the chart for its lowest noise levels
The primary fuel used in the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT is gasoline. The gasoline used should be pure, unleaded gasoline only, with a maximum 10% ethanol added and having an 87 octane rating or more.
Adding fuel or oil to the generator is not safe at all when the engine warms up and is running while the generator has been started.
Ensure that the fuel should never be completely filled up to the brim, as spillage can cause damage to plastic parts of the product.
For the Californian audience, the generator meets the rules and regulations for the environment safety regarding the emissions, so it is EPA and CARB compliant.
The engine capacity for the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT is 4.9 litres or 1.3 gallons. The run time for the product is pretty impressive compared to the rest of the competitors in the market out there, being 13 hours on 25% load.
Not a lot of generators surpass even 10 hours of operation with lesser tank capacity than this model, and are more expensive than this one, too.
So complaining about either the operating hours or the tank capacity would be a huge injustice to this product.
The Westinghouse WH2000iXLT among a lot of models stands high in terms of tank capacity. Having a big tank is essential since you don’t want to refill the generator repeatedly. One fill and you’re good to go.
Table: The unit leaves behind a lot of its competition and is among the top models in terms of tank capacity
The operation hours of the model, as mentioned, are pretty impressive, and even beat the units of huge brands like Honda and Generac. Being 13 hours on the given tank capacity, this product wins a lot of points for superiority.
Table: The long operation hours of the model are one of its best features
Display & Control Panel
The controls on the Westinghouse WH2000iXLT are quite well distributed and neat enough to be clearly understood.
A bonus feature for added simplicity is that the model has been designed with the controls and switches required to start the generator in yellow. The control panel for the model has been shown here:
- 120 Volt Duplex Output: This outlet can provide a maximum of 20 amperes of power to your appliance.
- Circuit Breaker: This reset breaker trips in case your inverter is overloaded for power. Though, the engine will continue to run anyway, but there will not be any output produced by the model.
- Efficiency Switch: When this switch is turned on, the engine will reduce its speed and operate at low RPM, increasing the fuel efficiency. This helps a lot when the load requirement isn’t too much and also increases the run time hours altogether.
- Choke Knob: This should be in on position in order to start the engine and should be turned to the off position once the engine is running.
- Output LED: The LED will glow green at the time when the inverter is ready.
- Overload LED: When the inverter is overloaded, red light will come up.
- Low Oil LED: A red LED glows and the engine shuts down when the oil level becomes too low. When this happens, the oil should be filled to the proper level and the inverter should be restarted.
- Ground Terminal: This port is used to ground the inverter.
Startup and Shut down
Lack of knowledge about how to properly start or turn off an appliance is very important to ensure a long and healthy life of the product.
Thus, we have mentioned in detail how the generator should be properly started and shut down. But before starting the generator, few things should be ensured which are:
- Engine should be filled with oil.
- Inverter should be in ideal location and out in the open. It should not, under any circumstances, be operated in closed areas.
- The generator should be on a dry surface.
- All loads should be pre-handedly disconnected.
- It should be properly grounded.
To start the generator
- Find the fuel tank vent and switch it on.
- Turn the engine control switch on
- The choke knob is then switched on
- Take the recoil handle and pull it away from the generator, firmly, and then rapidly.
- The engine will now start. Once it is stabilized, turn the choke knob back off.
To shut off the generator
- Ensure that all loads are first disconnected from the generator.
- Allow the engine to run at zero load for a couple minutes to let t stabilize and lower internal temperatures.
- Turn the engine control switch off.
- Turn the fuel tank vent off.
- In case of emergency shut downs, immediately move the engine control switch off.
If you’re not convinced with the aforementioned features yet, here are some more of them to make you want to get one of this for yourself:
- Parallel Operation: Ever wondered while running out of power sometimes that you wish you had more power production for yourself? Well, parallel operation solves this problem for you where you can connect another generator in parallel to the current one for increased power output for your appliances with an additional parallel cable: WHPC 260041.
- XLT Technology: Though previously mentioned how low the noise levels for the generator are, with the Extreme Low Tone tech, inclusion of double mufflers and insulated acoustic hood ensures extremely quiet operation of the generator, for uninterrupted peace.
- Inverter Technology: With this, you get constant supply of pure sine waves by which you can use it without worries for sensitive electronics.
Now, warranty is a place where this generator lacks slightly as compared to the other companies providing such products. The warranty provided for the generator by the company is 2 years.
The company provides warranty for both replacement and repair under normal use and operation of the product, without any mishandling or manipulation of any parts, whatsoever.
To claim the warranty, you must preserve the proof of the original retail purchase date. However, the exclusions under warranty are:
- Parts affected or damaged by accident.
- Use of any fuel not recommended by the company.
- Use of the generator for purposes not compatible with its operation purposes.
- Misuse or careless handling of the product in any means.
For claiming the warranty, you can visit any nearby authorized Westinghouse service centre. They will verify the terms and conditions with you, and your issue will be then tackled without any problems.
For further details, visit:
Customer Service: 1-855-944-3571.
Care and Maintenance
Maintenance of any product you purchase is something extremely vital, and to be done regularly for a lasting and wholesome operation of the product.
Good and frequent maintenance will provide you with decent durability and will keep your generator safe from long term and critical hazards, or any other kinds of malfunctions.
Thus, we strongly recommend following the given schedule properly:
- Every Use: Check engine oil level before starting the generator. In case you have started the generator, do not stop it in between to check the oil quantity. Also, check the air filter.
- Every Month: Change the engine oil and clean the tank properly.
- Every 3 Months: Clean the air filter thoroughly and check for any blockages.
- Every 6 Months: Check and clean both the spark plug and spark arrestor.
- Every Year: Replace the old air filter and spark plug to ensure smooth running.
Note than all these maintenance measures are to be frequented in case of exceptionally periodic operations, or when operating in dry and dusty conditions.
For even more details on maintenance and proper procedures to clean the generator parts, read the manual here:
Consumer Review Analysis
For a clearer and more honest understanding of the product, we sifted through some of the online portals selling the product and studied the consumers’ opinions of the machine. Here is what we found:
What customers like:
- Reliability: The customers are all praises for the reliability of the product and boast of its competitiveness with greater models like Honda & Generac. The model fires in 1-2 pulls and runs very smooth.
- Economic: Another reason for the great popularity is the low price. Indubitably, everyone loves the combination of superb quality and low prices. Being priced at $479, the quality gives pretty good competition to a lot of products out there.
- Quiet: With really low noise levels, the sounds are so silent that you can have a conversation right beside it and not be bothered with the noise. A lot of customers admire the level, and claim that it is almost silent while running on full load, too.
- Weight: Some of the customers who had previously owned big generators with more power say that the weight and noise of the generator was bothersome, and upon use of this generator in parallel operation, the noise level and the weight, both were amazingly less.
What customers dislike:
- Convenience in Oil Fill: A few customers have claimed that the location for the oil fill isn’t very convenient and so, while filling it up, the oil level isn’t quite visible.
- Limited Features: Unlike some of the models, this one does not come with digital displays or hour meters, thus, if sometimes, may be, you’re a little distracted or careless while keeping track of the run time, it might die without notice.
Thus overall, for the price of this guy, the features seem pretty appealing to us, and also, for the commendable dependability it offers.
Apart from that, in case of other issues, you can always get it fixed under the warranty provided by Westinghouse. As a whole, we’d say a great product.
What makes the generator so cheap for the price? What makes it worth the price?
All these questions are answered here for you under this section, so that you can judge whether or not to buy this product, depending on your demands:
- Easy to Use: The features of the product are really simple. In case of any confusions at all, you can just scan the manual once and you’re good to go. Super simple!
- Size: The compactness of the generator is very impressive, and placing it around won’t be tough because it isn’t bound to occupy a lot of space.
- Portability: The awfully low weight of 43 lbs makes it a great buddy for your outdoor activities, so moving about with it isn’t a problem. Trust us.
- Price: Like the customers have mentioned, the price of the generator justifies its popularity among the consumers.
- Run Time: The run time of the generator is something to really drool over. It is fantastically remarkable, and to us, we think it does justice to anyone’s decision of buying one.
- Plastic Body: The plastic body used for the casing is a little cheap and prone to breakage if not handled with attention. Scratches are to be expected while usage.
- No Wheels: Absence of wheels for the product is quite a drawback; to us, at least. If you’re tired and really not in the mood of carrying it around, there’s not an alternative.
- Limited Power: If your power demands are high, this product will not fulfil your requirements since the constant output is only 1800 Watts.
- Warranty Period: With the warranty period of 3 years for other generators out there, this one has a warranty period of only 2 years.
Having questions about the operations and specs of the product is natural, and we’d be surprised if you didn’t. Here are some of them answered for you:
Does the unit come with a 12 Volt battery charging cable or will it have to be purchased?
No. The unit doesn’t come with a batter charging cable.
Can it hold the load of a full sized refrigerator?
Yes. A full sized refrigerator doesn’t pull more than 1500 Watts. Only thing to be alert about is not to overload the generator. We would recommend finding out the power wattage of your fridge.
Does the product come with the parallel cord included?
No. The parallel cord will have to be purchased for the operation and it will cost $50.
Is the generator safe enough to power sensitive electronics?
Yes. The inverter technology of the generator is made to provide pure sine wave for the output and is absolutely safe for operating laptops and other similar units.
How much oil does the unit need and what quality gasoline is ideally recommended?
Approximately 4 oz of oil will be sufficient. The quality of gas is mentioned in the manual and also above in the review. It should have a minimum of 87 octane rating.
What cycle is the engine? 2 or 4?
The engine is a 4 cycle engine.
How many amperes is this unit capable of producing?
The surge ampere ranges from 21-22 amperes. In a continuous state, the rating is about 18 amperes.
Can this unit be paralleled with any other generators of the same or different power?
No. It is not recommended to connect any other generator to increase the power capacity other than its twin. In case of any attempts of doing so, the warranty will be held void for any malfunctioning of the product in the future.
How often should the maintenance be carried out?
The maintenance schedule can be found on the manual of the product as well as in this review itself. We recommend strict following of the schedule.
If you’re not willing to spend a lot of money on a generator, or, perhaps, are on a budget, then this unit is the one for you. Packed with a lot of features at a great price, this guy is what will suit almost all your power needs without burning a hole in your pocket.
Table: The unit is among the cheapest generators in the market
Based on the pros and cons, and our observations, here are our scores out of 10:
- Price – No doubt, price-wise, this product is a huge winner. 9/10.
- Performance – Despite the great features, some of the performances we felt weren’t really up to the mark. 9/10 from us.
- Ease of Use – Portability, ease of operation, maintenance, everything for this model is fairly simple. 9/10.
- Noise – Beating and leaving behind some of the greatest brands, this model wins its most points for the low noise levels. 9/10.
- Fuel Tank capacity – The tank capacity of this model is exceptionally well. A huge 9/10 for this.
- Overall – On the whole, the product is great, both price-wise and performance-wise. The reliability of this model is also pretty well, and buy it for the amazing features it gives against some of the top models. 9/10.
Overall, the product to us so far has been very appealing. The reliability and performance have been very impressive so far, and the price pretty much makes up for any cons of the product. Recommendations? Highly recommended.
There are a couple more accessories which we recommend for more convenience and ease of use. Here are some:
This cover protects your generator from dust and dirt and would keep it clean and safe from any corrosion, keeping it clean.
You can buy yours here: https://climateright.com/heavy-duty-all-weather-cover-for-westinghouse-wh2000ixlt-inverter-generator.html
Parallel Cord: For more power output, you need a power cord to connect your generator to another one. Here is where you can get it:
Overall, to us, the product seems very appealing, and the best part about it is the pocket-friendly price.
The performance is also great, and by the analysis, we’ve done, the majority of the customers are happy with the reliability it provides. If you were to ask us, we’d highly recommend this product.
So go ahead, plan your next camping trip and leave all your power related worries to this buddy!
Last Updated on