How We Decided14 products considered
- 1,500+ reviews analysed, 16 research hours spent, 20+ info. sources referred
Incorrect posture is not only unattractive but unhealthy and painful. Once we are aware of these faulty habits, we must make changes in the way we carry our bodies.
While stretching and exercising can help in making changes, various posture products are supportive measures in speedy recovery and change.
What is a Posture Pillow?
A posture pillow is a device that is used to correct and support posture. When the body remains immobile for long periods while we sit or sleep, these pillows can help maintain alignment.
Posture pillows uphold the normal curvature of the spine, provide comfort and offer relief in painful situations.
They can be used while sitting at work, traveling by road or air, recovering during physical therapy and sleeping.
These pillows reduce stress on the bones, nerves, and muscles in the back. Posture pillows are helpful in minimizing back pain and reducing tension headaches.
Posture pillows that can be attached to car seats or office seats include a strap that secures it in place.
These pillows are either hollowed in the center with a raised periphery or relatively flatter versions with beveled edges.
These pillows are mostly square shaped while a few brands make rolls that provide lower back support.
Comparison Table: Top Posture Pillows Today
Here is a quick comparison table of the popular and well-received posture pillows in the market today –
LoveHome Support Back Cushion
|Memory Foam||Office, wheelchair, cars, general seating||Check Price|
Coccyx Orthopedic Seat Cushion
|Memory Foam||Office, car, general seating||Check Price|
The Original McKenzie Lumbar Roll
|Foam||Yoga, sports, maternity, wheelchair||Check Price|
AirComfy Inflatable Neck/Lumbar Pillow
|Foam||Office, airplane seats||Check Price|
Arc4life Cervical Neck Traction Pillow
|Polyester fiber||Bed||Check Price|
- Quick Answer: Best Posture Pillow
- What is a Posture Pillow?
- Comparison Table: Top Posture Pillows Today
- Reviews of the Best Posture Pillows
- Buying Guide for Best Posture Pillows
- Posture Pillow for a Chair
- Posture Pillow for Neck
- Forward Head Posture Pillow
- Final Word
Reviews of the Best Posture Pillows
Here are quick reviews of the best posture pillows for various purposes and occasions –
LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Support Back Cushion/Pillow
This pillow offered by LoveHome, with a comfortable 3D mesh cover is a multiuse product made to alleviate lower back pain.
The following Features are present in this Cushion –
- Premium quality memory foam that conforms to the shape of your back to provide support and relief.
- Ergonomic and durable design that retains its shape and firmness.
- Suitable to use on office furniture, sofas, vehicle seats, recliners etc.
- Two straps that prevent it from moving and keep it steady.
- Ability to minimize back problems and improve posture.
- 60-days return policy.
- Verified by orthopedic specialists and demonstrated to be effective.
This pillow has a 70% positive review score. One user commented on the versatility of the product as it was used in various situations and even while camping.
Another mentioned that if placed correctly the device is 100% effective and useful. Buyers who used it while driving were happy with the comfort it offered and reduction in back pain.
Many who used it at the office thought it was effective in comparison to other posture products that didn’t help.
- Breathable outer material
- Good customer support
- Reasonably priced
- 60-days replacement policy
- Quality construction offering support
- May not be suitable for larger sized people
- Straps may not fit around a car seat or bigger chairs
Kieba Coccyx Seat Cushion
This seat pillow by Kieba is a new larger design made to reduce pain in the lower back, hips, spine and surrounding areas.
The Cushion includes the following-
- Construction of superior memory foam that will not lose shape.
- Cooling gel technology that reduces body heat and relieving pressure points.
- Breathable velour cover that includes a zipper to enable cleaning.
- Good density foam and U-shaped design provide comfort, relief, and posture correction.
- The anti-slip bottom keeps the seat steady on any surface.
This cushion received around 70% positive reviews. Users mentioned that it felt both firm and comfortable. Users were satisfied with the quality of the outer cover and the anti-skid bottom.
Some users mentioned that it did offer coccyx pain relief and some mentioned that it reduces the pain from sitting too long.
An older customer used it all the time and found it comfortable and helpful in minimizing tailbone pain.
One customer who pleased with the cushions ability to ease the pain in tailbone bought one for the car seat and another for the office chair.
- Keeps body cool and prevents sweating
- Firm to provide support
- Provides relief from various pain
- Good quality that bounces back to shape after pressure
- May fit only on standard chair sizes
- Size may not be suitable for people of the larger size
- Maybe too firm for some
The Original McKenzie Lumbar Roll by OPTP
This lumbar roll by OPTP is recommended by various therapists and professionals to provide relief from various back problems.
The Device Comprises of the following –
- Attentive construction of good quality firm density foam.
- Removable cover made of 100% polyester with anti-moisture, wrinkle-free features.
- Can be used on office and vehicle seats and secured in place with straps.
- Can also be strapped to the back thus allowing for movement.
- Measures 11” in length and 4.75” in diameter.
- Made in the USA.
This product has around 60% positive reviews. Reviews stated that although this roll may be on the softer side, it provides for adequate support.
Buyers also stated that it offers comfort and conforms to the shape of the body.
Reviewers were happy with the portability and compactness of this product as they used it while sitting on various surfaces.
Many were happy with the fact that it can be strapped on and a lot of reviews mentioned that it was helpful in minimizing back pain.
Some who underwent surgery for various problems stated that it provided relief and sped up the healing process.
- Soft and comfortable
- Poorly made and loses shape soon
- Straps are stretchy and fail to keep the roll in place
- Softer and may not be suitable for heavier people.
Cervical Neck Traction Pillow
This neck pillow by Arclife is meant to provide cervical support while sleeping to promote alignment and reduce postural problems and pains.
This Pillow offers the following Features-
- Two sides of the pillow – the neck roll side – to support the neck and the V side – to stretch the neck.
- Medium size that measures 24″x17″.
- Made of polyester fiber.
- Available in 3 sizes – small, medium, and large.
- Acts as a sleeping aid and support for the neck.
- Can help a variety of pain situations, chronic postural problems and snoring.
This pillow has around 60% positive reviews. Users stated that the pillow delivers as claimed. One user who had neck surgery mentioned that after a few uses the pillow contributed to a restful night and neck pain disappeared.
Another reviewer who had multiple injuries stated that the cradling and support activities of the pillow prevent headaches, neck pain, and a foggy head.
One user mentioned that the pillow was more effective than other highly expensive brands.
- Reasonably priced.
- Helps posture and prevent and reduce pain.
- Suitable for those who’ve undergone surgery or been injured.
- Sides flatten out with usage.
- V-shaped traction over-filled on one side
- Unavailability of smaller sizes.
AirComfy Inflatable Neck/Lumbar Pillow
This is an inflatable neck pillow offered by AirComfy made to provide support and hold the neck upright and prevent pain in the back.
The Pillow includes the following
- The inner foam that supports without a hollow, bouncy feeling of other inflatable pillows.
- Outer fabric that is easy to clean with a damp cloth
- Fully Inflated size – 14” x 8.5” x 3.5” with adjustable thickness
- Deflated in Packsack size – 4.5″ x 8.5″
- Adjustable inflation settings for a firm or soft preferences.
- Versatile features that make it usable on office chairs, car headrests, camping, physical therapy, medical recovery, and pregnancy.
- Portable and lightweight design collapses and compresses into a portable packsack.
- Expandable elastic band keeps the pillow secured to seats.
This pillow has around 70% positive reviews. Users who carried it around while traveling were satisfied with the portability and lightweight features.
Users confirmed that the pillow can be inflated to a desired level of firmness.
The stretch straps allow for it to be attached to a wide range of seats as mentioned by reviews.
People who used it while traveling, in the office or at home thought that it provided good lumbar support.
- Portable and lightweight
- Provides support and prevents pain
- Carry sack included
- Wears out quick
- Not too comfortable
Buying Guide for Best Posture Pillows
Once you’ve decided to use a posture pillow to minimize problems, a few guidelines may contribute in making the right choice.
Kind of Pillow/Cushion
Within the availability of many types of postural devices to assist in correcting posture, are different pillows/cushions in the postural support section.
Choosing the right pillow or cushion will depend on the type of problem you face or choose to rectify and your personal preferences.
You may even choose to combine different cushions or pillows in dealing with postural problems.
Lumbar Support Cushion
Most of us who spend time sitting at a computer may face postural problems and resultant pain.
Besides cutting down on sitting time with the use of a standing desk, a posture pillow for lumbar support may assist in maintaining alignment.
These cushions can be attached to a car or office seats and offer support while we sit for hours at a stretch.
Lumbar Support Roll
A lumbar support cushion is bigger and rectangular shape with a hollow center, while a roll is cylindrical. Rolls are relatively smaller and easier to carry around.
A roll may be a product of choice if you find yourself moving from sitting to standing positions at your standing desk, as it straps on to your waist.
Inflatable Neck Pillow
These cushions are portable due to their inflatable features. They’re suitable for people who travel frequently and used on vehicle seats or office chairs.
They’re also used in physical therapy and to support the back during pregnancy.
These pillows are meant to provide neck support while sleeping.
You may find it useful to invest in this pillow if you experience problems such as a stiff neck along with pain, back pain, snoring, migraines, pinched nerves, arthritis, forward head posture, and disc bulges or herniation.
For people who spend hours sitting due to work demands or disabilities, these cushions offer coccyx support. If you find yourself experiencing lower back and tailbone pain, this cushion may provide relief.
Most of these support pillows and cushions are made of memory foam, polyester fiberfill, gel foam or inflated with air.
In the case of memory foam, they have to be both dense to offer support and soft for comfort. When buying a pillow made of memory foam, choose one with a medium density that is neither too firm or too soft.
Gel combinations provide a cooling effect and prevent the body from sweating.
These pillows may be slightly more expensive. Ensure that the outer cover is soft and comfortable and it includes a zipper so that you can wash the cover every now and then.
In case of back support, pillow ensures the size restfully aligns to the size of your back. Buy a cervical traction pillow that is an appropriate size for your neck and body frame.
In case of a seat cushion ensure the size fits your seat as one that is too short or long will end up being uncomfortable.
Get a feel of it
Since the purpose of these products is to provide comfort and relief, it only makes sense to try it out at a store.
While this may ensure you make the right choice, a brand with a fair description of the product and a substantial amount of online reviews may also be a safe investment.
Posture Pillow for a Chair
Posture pillows for chairs are meant to provide lumbar support by maintaining the healthy curvature of the spine thus preventing incorrect posture positions.
These pillows are mostly made with straps that attach to a chair. These pillows can be strapped on to car seats, office chairs or any kind of chair that you may sit on for long.
These pillows can range in breadth from around 13” to 14” and around 16” to 18” in length while the thickness can range from 2” to 5”.
These pillows are designed to incorporate a groove in the center with thicker, beveled edges contributing to back support.
Another shape for a chair posture cushion can be a roll and as is known as the lumbar roll. These being smaller than the flat versions are meant to provide back support but easier to carry around.
They have the added advantage of being used either as a chair attachment or a back strap–on, that can be worn around your waist.
Most of these support pillows for chairs are made of memory foam with covers that promote free air flow. Some chair support pillows could be a combination of memory foam and gel.
While most of these posture pillows for chairs are backrests, some function as seats to offer relief and alignment.
Posture Pillow for Neck
Neck posture pillows treat problems and pain related to and originating from the neck.
Neck pillows during rest seek to maintain an ideal position of the neck and head in relation to the rest of the body.
Other neck posture pillows used while we travel are meant to keep the neck stable and prevent overstretching and tensing the muscles.
Basic neck pillows used while resting work to prevent a stiff neck. These pillows are soft and comfortable but also provide adequate support to the neck region.
Some neck pillows have packed in strands of memory foam as opposed to a rigid block of foam. These pillows are made for comfortable spots.
Most neck posture pillows offer different levels which suit different bodies and necks. Some pillows are flexible to accommodate back, side and stomach sleeping positions.
Some take it a step further to not only provide comfort but also alleviate pain in the neck and back.
These pillows that address pain have a distinctive shape and design. Some have a hollow center with thicker-filled sides while others have a contour shape.
These pillows contribute to keeping the head and neck in an ideal position while sleeping.
Forward Head Posture Pillow
A forward head position, as the name suggests, is the forward positioning of the head due to long term imbalance in the head and neck alignment.
Inappropriate pillows can adversely affect the position of the head and neck. This flexes the neck and shortens the muscles within, possible causing forward head posture.
A forward head posture pillow is designed as such to encourage a completely displaced position of the head, in alignment with the spine, as is in the absence of a pillow.
These pillows integrate various technologies and inventions in the foam, gel or other dense material used.
The design includes a curved or semi-circular design with a deeper mid-section or groove.
These grooves drawback of your head noticeably closer to the bed like without a pillow while the surrounding raised portion of the pillow supports the rest of the head.
These pillows used while sleeping, allow for the head to move into its natural position in alignment with the spine and the rest of the body.
The design essentially cradles and supports the back of the head to lay flat on the bed as the rest of your body.
The pillow has to be positioned suitably to be comfortable for different neck lengths.
Posture pillows come in different shapes and versions. Choosing the right product will depend on your personal situation, needs, and preferences.
Posture pillows used while sleeping provides for a restful night, prevent pain, make you feel stronger and thus uphold posture.
Pillow support while sitting is essential to prevent the hazards of long hours at a desk. A combination of products can provide comfort, prevent pain and enable recovery.
Here is the list of best posture pillows again for you –
- LoveHome Memory Foam Lumbar Support Back Cushion
- Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion
- The Original McKenzie Lumbar Roll
- AirComfy Inflatable Neck/Lumbar Pillow
- Arc4life Cervical Neck Traction Pillow
Last update on 2021-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API