Dogs just like humans can be allergic to a good many things.
It is very important that the dog owner take good note of all the things that their pets are allergic to before buying any food item or skin product. An allergic reaction may be fatal hence, this step is very essential.
One needs to consult a vet to know more about what their pets are allergic to. The manufacturers of dog shampoo have recognized this fact and made products especially for dogs suffering from allergies.
The following sections of the articles look at the kinds of allergies a dog might have and how certain shampoos can be used to not further augment these allergies.
- What are dog shampoos?
- Why do dogs get allergies and what are the different types?
- How can Dog Shampoos help with Allergies?
- Popular Allergy Shampoos for Dogs
- Precautions while buying allergy shampoos
What are dog shampoos?
Dog shampoos are the common cleansing agents that are manufactured by different companies. Their main purpose is to maintain the physical hygiene of the dog.
They also are formulated to target the different types of problems that a dog faces like certain skin conditions.
They can be classified into many types but the broadest classifications seem to be medicated and non-medicated shampoos.
Why do dogs get allergies and what are the different types?
Dogs, just like humans, become allergic to everyday items when their immune system starts to recognize some of the daily items as potentially dangerous.
Even though these are extremely harmless things, the dog will react very strongly when it comes in contact with these supposed allergens or ingests them accidentally.
The following points elaborate more about the kinds of dog allergies that are commonly found. They are the items that they can be possibly allergic to.
- Cigarette Smoke
- Food Ingredients
- Rubber and Plastics
The common symptoms of allergies are redness or inflammation of the skin, sneezing, vomiting, snoring, diarrhoea, increased scratching, swollen paws and constant licking.
A vet needs to be consulted immediately to diagnose how to deal with the allergic reactions and why the allergy was caused.
How can Dog Shampoos help with Allergies?
Allergies usually cause redness, inflammations, rashes, and itchiness and therefore, specially formulated shampoos are designed to soothe these symptoms which go a long way in providing comfort to the dog.
Shampoos ease the itching tendencies and provide relief by removing the harmful bacteria and parasites that may be present.
Allergies can only be cured by giving the proper medication that is prescribed by the vet, however; shampoos can help in easing the discomfort caused due to the allergies.
Pets that are suffering from allergies are also advised by the vet to get bathed two or three times a week. Sometimes just with water and other times with the shampoo.
This helps ease the scratching. There are specially designed shampoos available for dogs that suffer from allergies.
How do allergy shampoos help?
The following points elaborate how the fabrication and constituents of the shampoos designed for allergic dogs help in soothing the pet and improving its condition drastically.
- Some shampoos are designed so that they [wpsm_highlight color=”yellow”]contain moisturizers[/wpsm_highlight] and fatty acids. This is very helpful if the dog is suffering from the dry and flaky skin because of the side effects of the allergies.
- One should use shampoos that are enriched in hydrocortisones, essential fatty acids, oatmeal or aloe vera. [wpsm_highlight color=”yellow”]Hydrocortisones [/wpsm_highlight]relieve the dog from the itching caused by inflammation, insect bites and hot spots. Fatty acids help in controlling the flaking. Oatmeal and aloe vera helps in soothing the itching and scratching.
- The ideal allergy shampoos are [wpsm_highlight color=”yellow”]very mild and soap free[/wpsm_highlight]. Soap can be a major irritant especially when the pat has to be bathed frequently which is a major requirement in case of allergic dogs.
- They are also[wpsm_highlight color=”yellow”] easy to use[/wpsm_highlight]. They rinse lather and wash off easily so that the pet does not get agitated by the excess rubbing and scrubbing.
- These shampoos contain special [wpsm_highlight color=”yellow”]anti-itch ingredients[/wpsm_highlight] that heal and soothe the skin. These ingredients are colloidal oatmeal and aloe vera known for the cleansing and cooling properties respectively.
These are fragranced with a pleasant smell as they have to be used frequently as compared to the other shampoos.
Popular Allergy Shampoos for Dogs
The following is a list of some popular shampoos that can be used for dogs with allergies.
1. Allermyl Shampoo
It is a foaming micro-emulsion that contains a combination of natural anti-inflammatory ingredients and soothing agents. It also contains the essential fatty acids and helps to soothe the skin in case of tropical skin allergies.
It is dye and fragrance-free which can sometimes be major irritants to the allergic dog’s skin. The foam penetrates deep into the skin to give the best possible solution with long-lasting effects.
2. 1-800-Petmeds Oatmeal and Aloe Vera Shampoo
It is a gentle and effective shampoo that works to moisturize irritated skin. It promotes healing and provides a fresh and invigorating feeling.
The oatmeal and aloe vera work together for a gentle yet thorough cleansing. The pH is specially regulated to suit the dog’s skin and does not have any reported side effects.
3. Be Soothed Shampoo
The major functioning ingredients of this shampoo are tea tree oil and aloe vera. It relieves the dog’s skin from the bacterial, fungal and yeast infections.
It kills the bacterium which is majorly related to open surface wounds and wounds due to scratching. It reduces the pain associated with the constant itching and scratching with the cooling and soothing effect of aloe vera.
4. Vet Solutions Aloe and Oatmeal Shampoo
It is completely soap free and acts a rehydrating agent and moisturizer for all kinds of skin types – dry, oily or normal.
It removes the scales and the crusty, flaky skin and acts as an antibacterial and anti-fungal agent. It lathers well and rinses off easily. It leaves a pleasant fragrance after each use and there are no major side effects.5.
5. Excel Hydrocortisone Shampoo
It contains aloe vera to soothe several skin conditions like inflammations, hot spots, insect bites and some other major and minor skin problems.
It is completely safe, gentle and doesn’t sting. It is fast acting and the effects are long-lasting.
6. Oat Coat Conditioning Anti-Itch Shampoo
It helps in case of itching caused due to allergies and also cures flaking and dander. It is also helpful in case of itching and incessant scratching.
It provides temporary relief from these conditions and can also be used in case of hot spots and inflammations.
7. Isle of Dogs Clean Coating Shampoo
It is gentle yet thorough cleaner that helps the dogs with atopic and allergic conditions. It has a very pleasant scent that deodorizes the coat.
It also protects the skin against the common environmental conditions. It provides immediate relief from inflammatory skin conditions.
Precautions while buying allergy shampoos
One needs to make sure that the allergy shampoo does not contain any ingredients that the dog is allergic to. If any unwanted side effects, the use has to be stopped immediately.
The duration and frequency of bathing and the amount of shampoo to be used has to be carefully regulated to ensure that one does not overdo the process which can do more harm than good.
One can summarize from the article that the dogs are also victims of allergies and they obviously demand more care and attention.
One should therefore, be careful when selecting products for their dogs and keep these points in mind whenever they go shopping for their beloved pets.