A router is a power tool used to hollow out a section from a piece of hardwood or other such material.
It is an essential carpentry tool that can be used for a variety of building activities and can be either a handheld device or can be attached to a table.
Two versatile router combo kits, the Bosch 1617EVSPK and the DEWALT DW618PK, come with both fixed and plunge bases and with similar variable speed settings.
Belonging to different brands, though, they both have quite a few differences in design and performance which makes each of them suited to different types of woodworkers.
Let’s understand both these products in detail and explore their differences.
Quick Review of the Bosch 1617EVSPK
Bosch was founded in Germany in 1886. It is a world leader in the manufacture of industrial tools as well as household appliances.
The Bosch 1617EVSPK Woodworking Router Combo Kit gives a powerful no-load speed of 8,000 to 25,000 RPM with its 12 Amp motor.
It comes with both a fixed base as well as a plunge base, making it a truly versatile router. This speed can be varied according to individual needs by the speed dial and is maintained with the Constant Response Circuitry.
This router is easy to start with a soft-start feature as well as easy to use with its Precision Centering Design which keeps bits centered while cutting, resulting in more precise work.
The 1617EVSPK allows for quick, tool-free conversions of bases and comes with soft grip handles featured in the plunge base along with threaded holes for easier mounting featured in the fixed base.
Durable and designed for the toughest routing jobs, this tool’s motor housing and bases are made of aluminum and comes with a rugged carrying case.
It also has rubber overmold handles for easier operation, making it a user-friendly router.
Here’s a video showing you all the features of the Bosch 1617EVSPK:
- Constant Response Circuitry stabilizes start-up torque and maintains a constant speed while cutting, thus ensuring easier handling as well as cleaner and more accurate results
- Adjustable Speed Dial allows the user to vary and set the optimal speed according to the routing task and material
- Micro-fine Bit-depth Adjustment on the base allows for accurate and fast changes
- Bosch Precision Centering Design allows for the bit to be centered with the subbase or optional template guides so it can be kept on the intended cutting line when using guiding devices
- Quick Clamp Systems included in both bases for tool-free conversions so the motor can be moved quickly and easily between the two bases
- Fixed base has threaded holes for mounting to the router table positioned in common 3-hole pattern and an advanced bit height adjustment system for added convenience
- Dust-sealed power switch increases the durability of the router
- Rounded hardwood handles maximise user control
- Comes with a durable and rugged carrying case which has appropriate compartments for all included items
- Slightly high on the price scale
The Bosch 1617EVSPK Router Combo Kit can be used for precise bit plunging, edge forming, slot cutting, laminate trimming, dovetail cutting and so on.
It is ideal for the professional woodworker who needs a single tool to carry out a broad range of applications and that can be easily carried around from jobsite to jobsite.
Quick Review of the DEWALT DW618PK
The DEWALT DW618PK Router Kit boasts of a 12 Amp, soft-start motor that delivers a powerful no-load speed of up to 24,000 RPM.
It has an electronic variable speed trigger that allows the user to set the speed depending upon the application and also features electronic feedback that keeps the speed constant even under load, ensuring consistent and accurate results.
Bit changing becomes easier than ever with this router’s spindle-lock button which allows for single-wrench bit changes.
The adjustable, steel motor cam lock also makes depth adjustment and base changes possible without the need for tools.
Accuracy during depth adjustments is provided by a special ring that adjusts bit depth and maintains a constant switch/cordset location when using the router in a table.
At the same time, this router is comfortable to use with its smart design that makes the switch and cordset easily accessible.
The rubber overmold handles also reduce user fatigue, making routing a comfortable job.
- Quick-Release Motor allows for fast and easy motor pack removal for bit and base changes
- Micro-fine Depth Adjustment Ring along with a nickel-plated motor provides precision during depth adjustments with 1/64-inch increments and adjusts vertically for a constant switch/cordset location
- Detachable Cordset providing cordset serviceability and removes the need for a ‘shorty’ cord motor pack
- LEXAN sub-base accepts all standard template guide bushings and provides improved base durability and better bit visibility
- Precision-machined brass bushings and case-hardened steel guide rods increase accuracy while making the plunge stroke
- Five-position, adjustable turret stop makes it possible to make stepped or repeated plunge cuts easily and smoothly
- Dust Collection System captures 95% of the dust generated, providing superior bit visibility
- Dust-Sealed Switch prevents dust ingestion and increases switch life
- Spindle Lock Button makes it possible to change bits quickly and easily with the help of a single wrench
- 8 Self-releasing, slotted collets for improved bit retention and elimination of frozen bits
- Low center of gravity design with rubber handles ensure the utmost precision and convenience while using
- Only suitable for light to medium-duty work
- Edge Tool Guide is missing
- Customers report that it takes time to adjust to this product
The DEWALT DW618PK can cut through the toughest of hardwoods and is ideally suited for household projects involving light work like furnishing of small materials.
The individual woodworker or the homeowner indulging in light work would find this router extremely useful.
Both the Bosch and the DEWALT router kits offer powerful performance along with features that are designed to ensure accuracy and convenient usage.
But the slight variations in their designs make them suited for different kinds of applications and different kinds of workers. Here’s a quick breakdown of the features of both –
|PARAMETER||BOSCH 1617EVSPK||DEWALT DW618PK|
|Power||12 Amps||12 Amps|
|Voltage||240 Volts||120 Volts|
|Horsepower||2.25 HP||2.25 HP|
|Variable Speed Setting||Yes||Yes|
|Minimum Speed||8,000 RPM||8,000 RPM|
|Maximum Speed||25,000 RPM||24,000 RPM|
|Depth Adjustment System||Micro-fine Depth Adjustment||Micro-fine Depth Adjustment|
|Depth Adjustment Range||1-5/8 in.||1-5/8 in.|
|Base Opening||3-3/4 in.||3-1/4 in.|
|Weight||10 lbs||10 lbs|
|Warranty Duration||1 year||3 years limited|
|Who Should Use||Professionals||Homeowners, hobbyists|
Neither Bosch’s model nor the DEWALT model has any defining cons that would swing favor in the other direction.
Only a closer inspection of the features of both and a firm understanding of your personal needs could help you pick one over the other.
For a more budget-friendly option, you can buy the DEWALT router kit which is mostly fit for hobby work but for more serious work, the Bosch would be the best bet.