ReviewsWorthy.net is reader-supported. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.Learn more
A miter saw consists of a mounted circular saw blade fixed on a swing arm and a flat surface. It can be pulled down upon a piece of wood at a variety of angles in order to make different types of cuts including crosscuts, miter cuts, bevel cuts, and compound cuts.
Miter saws are useful tools when making crown moldings, door frames, picture frames, window casings, etc.
Two powerful miter saws available in the market are the Bosch GCM12SD and the DEWALT DWS780.
Both are known for their efficiency and accuracy in cutting through wood and have exceptional alignment systems that make precise cuts possible at maximum ease to the user.
Let’s explore the features of both these saws in detail and learn the differences between them.
Comparison: Bosch GCM12SD vs Dewalt DWS780
The Bosch GCM12SD and the DEWALT DWS780 are both powerful, versatile miter saws but with significant differences between their price, portability, and design. Let’s take a look at their specifications to compare these two great products.
|PARAMETER||BOSCH GCM12SD||DEWALT DWS780|
|Motor Power||15 Amp||15 Amp|
|Motor Speed||3,800 RPM||3,800 RPM|
|Product Dimensions||31 x 23.8 x 22.5 in||21.5 x 17.7 x 17.1 in|
|Max Bevel Left||47°||49°|
|Max Bevel Right||47°||49°|
|Bevel Stops||0°, 33.9°, 45°, 47° (L/R)||0°, 22.5°, 33.9°, 45°, 49°|
|Max Miter Left||52°||50°|
|Max Miter Right||60°||60°|
|Weight||65 lbs||56 lbs|
|Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|Warranty Duration||1 year||3 years limited|
|Who Should Use||Professional workers||Professional workers|
Quick Review of Bosch GCM12SD
Bosch is a German engineering and technology company founded in 1886. Bosch manufactures top quality tools for use in industrial, trade as well as in the household in addition to producing vehicles.
Bosch’s GCM12SD Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw comes with a 15 Amp motor delivering a no-load speed of 3,800 RPM. Its patented Axial-glide system makes it possible to make wider cross cuts with its 12-inch blade.
With this saw, personalised control comes at maximum comfort provided by the soft-grip handle.
A variety of cuts are possible with this miter saw as it has a 14-inch expanded horizontal cutting capacity, 6½-inch vertical capacity, and a 6½” crown capacity.
The clear lower guard provides clear visibility without any obstructions while working the saw. This saw boasts of smooth, accurate performance with a compact design.
It has a large cutting capacity, easy-to-read uniform bevel and miter scales with common angles with marked detents at common angles and upfront bevel and miter controls that allow the user to make quick adjustments.
For a closer look at the design and performance of the GCM12SD, check out this video:
- Axial-Glide System: exclusive, Bosch glide system offers better alignment, complete control, and compact workspace
- High-Precision SquareLock Quick-Release fence aligns 90° to the table and requires no adjustment, ensuring precision
- One-touch lock/unlock to slide fence for added support
- Push-button Miter Detent Override: easy-to-access thumb actuated control right up front for finer miter angle adjustment
- Ergonomic, soft-grip ambidextrous handle designed for user comfort when operating all day
- 90% dust collection with the help of dust chute and vacuum
- Heavy and not easy to move around
- Slightly higher on the price scale
The Bosch GCM12SD Miter Saw is best suited for use by the general carpenters and remodelers, finished carpenters, and cabinet and furniture makers.
It can also be used by hobbyists and DIY-enthusiasts, although it is more ideal for professional woodwork involving small projects.
Quick Review of the DEWALT DWS780
Founded in 1924, DEWALT is a leading international manufacturer of power tools and hand tools that facilitate in construction, manufacturing, and woodworking.
The DEWALT DWS780 Double Bevel Compound Miter Saw provides an impressive level of cutting accuracy with its XPS cross cut positioning system and bevel and miter systems along with machine-based, tall-sliding fence support making adjustments easy and hassle-free.
It has a 12-inch blade designed to be useful in a variety of tasks and a 15-Amp motor, operating at a speed of 3,800 RPM, grants smooth and powerful cuts.
DWS780’s combination of cutting capacities allow great optimization and its bevel and miter scales provide a wider range of angles to select from, improving the quality of work.
Easy adjustments lead to increased productivity with the help of bevel and miter stops that are easy to see.
The compact and lightweight design of this saw paired with its innovative features aimed at increasing durability and accuracy make this miter saw a much-desired tool on the job site. The alignment system is particularly attractive as it does not require recalibration over time or when changing blades.
Here’s a video featuring the accuracy provided by the DWS780:
- XPS Cross-cut Blade Positioning System provides adjustment-free accurate cut line indication
- Ultra-bright LED light grants better visibility by casting a laser-like shadow on the work surface to show exactly where the blade will come in contact with the material
- Dual horizontal steel rails lead to better precision with the help of a clamping mechanism and linear ball bearings
- Cam lock miter button provides the user the means to lock angles between detents
- Miter Detent Override allows easy and precise angle adjustment without falling into detents
- Gearbox and belt-drive designed for better vertical cutting capacity
- Dust collection system captures 75% of the dust generated
- Dust collection system could be improved
The DEWALT DWS780 is a great miter saw for the professional worker. It is the perfect fit for cabinetmakers, trim carpenters, framers, installers and carpenters.
The DWS780 is an efficient, accurate and portable saw for work on the job site and can be used for both heavy-duty building as well as delicate woodworking.
As you can see, both the Bosch and the DEWALT have some great features for the professional woodworker.
Choosing between the two would involve careful consideration of the price, bulk and cutting capacities of these two saws, all of which point towards the DEWALT as the winner.
But the Bosch certainly has a more efficient dust collection system which might swing the competition towards its side.
Both saws have pros and cons that you will need to weigh for yourself but neither comes across as a bad investment by any standard.
Last update on 2021-10-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API