A chainsaw is a powerful tool that is used to cut through wood with the help of a set of teeth attached to a rotating chain that runs along a guide bar.
It is the portable version of a mechanical saw and is useful in felling trees, pruning, harvesting of firewood and so on.
Husqvarna and Stihl are both long-standing, well-known manufacturers of powerful and reliable equipment.
The Husqvarna 240 and the Stihl MS 170 are, to a certain level, two extremely identical chainsaws boasting of exceptional performance combined with a lightweight and compact design.
Let’s go over the features of both these chainsaws to understand the difference between the two.
Quick Review of Husqvarna 240
Established more than 300 years ago, the Husqvarna Group is a leading Swedish manufacturer of outdoor, power-driven tools like chainsaws, lawn mowers, snow blowers, trimmers, garden tractors and so on.
The Husqvarna 240 has a powerful X-Torq engine delivering 38.2 cc of power at a lower exhaust emission level.
It is gas-powered and can reach a maximum speed of 9,000 RPM. It is easy to maintain with a durable construction, making this a good investment.
With a bar length of 16 inches, it cuts through wood easily and smoothly. The side-mounted chain tensioner allows the user to access and use the device with ease.
This chainsaw’s lightness of weight, ergonomic handle, and vibration dampening system ensure maximum comfort during operation. The inertia-activated chain brake prevents injury from kickback, making this a reliable, user-friendly
Take a closer look at this product with this video:
- X-Torq gas engine consumes a lower volume of fuel and reduces exhaust emission levels, leading to more efficiency at a lesser cost to you and the environment
- Air Injection: Centrifugal air cleaning system which reduces the need for frequent filter cleaning, saving time and extending engine life
- Air Purge reduces air from carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
- LowVib: anti-vibration dampeners absorb vibration and reduce fatigue during longer operations
- Combined Choke/Stop Control makes it easier to start the engine and reduce the risk of engine flooding
- Inertia-activated Chain Brake stops chain rotation around the saw in case of kickback, preventing injury
- Customers report difficulty starting the engine
- Only suitable for light work
Husqvarna’s 240 chainsaw is ideal for hobbyists or those who only intend to use it occasionally. It is useful in tasks involving light cutting, felling small trees and pruning.
This chainsaw is a perfect buy for the homeowner desiring a powerful chainsaw that is at once efficient, economical, portable and environment-friendly.
Quick Review of Stihl MS 170
Stihl, a German manufacturer of chainsaws and other handheld outdoor power equipment, was founded in 1926 and has a renowned global presence for its innovative and reliable products.
Stihl’s MS 170 chainsaw boasts a 30.1 cc engine that combines power with precision, delivering a maximum speed of 8,500 rpm.
It is gas-powered and has a single lever that controls operation. This chainsaw has a smart carburetor that allows operation for longer periods even in dust-heavy environments, making it an efficient and time-saving product.
Watch this chainsaw in action with this video:
The recommended bar length for the MS 170 is 12 inches to 16 inches. This easy-to-use chainsaw with a single Master Control Lever is lightweight and portable with similar safety features as the Husqvarna 240.
- IntelliCarb Compensating Carburetor automatically adjusts the air-to-fuel ratio when air filter becomes partially clogged while at the same time maintaining the engine’s constant rpm
- Ematic Lubrication System provides proper lubrication and reduces bar oil consumption up to 50% with the help of two ramps which direct oil flow towards bar and chain
- Anti-Vibration System reduces vibration levels during operation, lowering user fatigue and providing a more comfortable working experience
- Stihl Quickstop Chain Brake reduces risk of injury in case of kickback with the help of a chain stopping system which is activated by inertia
- Master Control Lever allows user start, choke, throttle and stop the chainsaw with a single lever
- Only available at retail stores with licensed dealers
- Only suitable for light work
- Customers reported high levels of smoke produced
- Slightly higher on the price scale
The Stihl MS 170 is a great chainsaw for the homeowner. It makes quick work of trimming and cutting small trees as well as other small jobs.
With professional-level features, this is a good fit for the serious power tool user looking for a powerful chainsaw for their home at an affordable price.
The Husqvarna 240 and the Stihl MS 170 boast of several similar features when it comes to portability, ease of use and user safety.
The difference between the two becomes apparent when we take a look at their engines. Here’s a closer look at the features of these two chainsaws –
|PARAMETERS||HUSQVARNA 240||STIHL MS170|
|Engine Power||38.2 cc||30.1 cc|
|Displacement||1.5 kW||1.3 kW|
|Maximum Power Speed||9,000 RPM||8,500 RPM|
|Idle Speed||3,000 RPM||2,800 RPM|
|Chain Speed at Maximum Power||17.1 m/s||18.6 m/s|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||0.3 liters||0.25 liters|
|Bar Length||14” to 18”||12” to 16”|
|Sound Power Level Guaranteed||113 dB(A)||111 dB(A)|
|Weight||10 lbs||8 lbs|
|Noise||High; hearing protection recommended||High; hearing protection recommended|
|Availability||Available online and in stores||Can only be bought from licensed dealers|
|Warranty Duration||2 years||1 year|
|Who Should Use||Homeowners, hobbyists||Homeowners, hobbyists|
|Price||Check Offers on Amazon||Check On Stihl Website|
The occasional chainsaw-users will appreciate both the Husqvarna 240 and the Stihl MS 170 for their smart design and fuel-efficiency when working small jobs around their homes.
Both these chainsaws are reliable, portable tools with powerful engines and features that provide comfort and safety without compromising precision.