ReviewsWorthy.net is reader-supported. As an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.Learn more
We look forward to sleeping on clean sheets and fresh bedding that makes our beds more cozy and comfortable. A clean bed contributes to deep restful sleep and subsequent health.
However, we must extend this to cleaning our twin mattresses ever so often. Cleaning to target sweat, dust mites, germs and bed bugs that harbor in your twin mattress.
- Cleaning your kid’s twin mattress
- Clean your twin memory foam mattress
- Clean your twin latex mattress
- In the end.
Cleaning your kid’s twin mattress
Parents should schedule periodic cleaning mattresses used by their children. This would contribute to their overall well-being and prevent allergies. A child’s mattresses would need more frequent cleaning due bed-wetting and other accidents.
Cleaning urine stains
Around 5 to 10 % of 6 to 10 year olds wet their beds but usually grow out of it. Cleaning your child’s twin mattresses soaked with urine has an urgent status to prevent it from turning into permanent odors and stains. Besides, if you leave it for later, it could get harder to clean.
You could choose to use commercial products available on the market for cleaning and stain removal or products sitting on your kitchen shelf. Both routes can be effective if tackled on time.
Products that can be used to remove stains are 3 % hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, vinegar/acetic acid, lemons, cornstarch, and water. Alternatively, you could use commercial dishwashing liquid or products that contain surfactants and other cleaning agents.
The process of cleaning urine stains from twin mattress
- Firstly, gently place a paper towel cloth or towel over the area to soak up any residual dampness. Please note scrubbing will cause the stain to spread into the mattress.
- For a latex mattress, cover it with a bio-enzymatic cleaner and leave it to dry for around 10 minutes and then dab it dry.
- Sprinkle some soda bicarbonate liberally over the area to absorb odors and stains and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- For stubborn stains fill a bottle with vinegar, baking soda and warm water and spray it over the area. Let the solution sit for around 30 minutes.
- Alternatively, mix hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and some essential oil like tea tree to kill germs and bacteria and keep the mattress smelling fresh. Spray it on to the area and leave in on to dry for around 30 minutes.
- After using any of the above options, vacuum-dry your twin mattress as the final step. If not, use a hair dryer on high heat setting. The best is if you have access to sunlight; leave your mattress in the open for a few hours to clean it thoroughly.
Cleaning vomit/feces stains
This is very common too. Small babies/toddlers vomit and many times unexpectedly on the mattress. Make sure you clear up solids from the mattress before you start cleaning. You could use a commercial product or any cleaning products off your kitchen shelf.
The process of cleaning vomit stains
- Gently clean the spot with a warm damp cloth or towel. Don’t rub the stain into the mattress.
- Spray a warm water-vinegar solution to disinfect the mattress and leave to dry for around an hour.
- To get rid of odors, sprinkle a liberal amount of baking soda on the spot and leave it for a few hours.
- For stubborn stains, mix a solution of baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and biological detergent and spray it on. Leave it to dry for a few hours.
- After using the above solutions, vacuum dry the twin mattress thoroughly. Alternatively, put it out in the sun if possible.
Clean your twin memory foam mattress
Your memory foam mattress provides support and comfort while you sleep, keeping your spine aligned and thus aiding your posture. It must be cleaned and maintained to prolong its lifespan.
Refresh your twin mattress with baking soda
Although memory foam mattresses don’t attract as much dust, mold and allergens as other materials it can be freshened up from time to time.
Sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda in a few random on your twin mattress to eliminate odors and dry out sweat and moisture that can possibly store bacteria.
As mentioned most memory foam is resistant to bacteria and germs, don’t cover the entire mattress with baking soda. Leave it on for a minimum of half an hour to a few hours. To get the baking soda off, vacuum the entire mattress.
Spot clean a twin mattress off stains
Mix biological detergent in warm water into a soapy mix. Biological detergent is particularly helpful in breaking down biological molecules such as proteins as part of food stains, sweat, blood and other stubborn stains.
In case of odors and stains, add some vinegar to the soap mix. Dip a sponge into the mix and spot clean/gently scrub over the stains. To soak up the moisture from this cleaning solution use a few paper towels and dab over the spot. Leave the mattress to air out until it completely dries.
Clean your twin latex mattress
Latex is made from the sap of the rubber tree and most twin latex mattresses contain a top layer or latex with subsequent layers of memory foam or foam.
How to clean your twin latex mattress from stains
With natural latex, it is recommended to use mild detergents or isopropyl alcohol to take off dirt and stains. Make a solution of warm water and some detergent. Gently scrub or spot clean stains from your twin mattress.
In case of stubborn stains, use a solution of hydrogen peroxide or bio enzymatic cleaners. Let the solution sit for a few minutes until the stain begins to fade.
Soak up the dampness from the solution with a cloth or paper towels. Leave the mattress to air dry under the fan for around 8 hours. Don’t use heat to dry your latex mattress as it can adversely affect the natural latex.
Deodorize and freshen up your twin latex mattress
To freshen up your twin latex mattress, you can spread baking soda over the whole mattress. Leave for a minimum of half an hour to a few hours to soak up stains and odors. Vacuum the baking soda after it has done its job.
In the end.
When it comes to prolonging the life of your mattress, it is essential to get it cleaned every once in a while. However, it is also important that you protect your mattress with a cover or a topper. This will only require airing out your twin mattress to make it feel it as good as new.